Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trail conditions in early July

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Trail conditions in early July
February 22, 2013 01:22PM
Hi all, first post here from me. This forum was recommended to me by a user on a different forum.

I am visiting Yosemite from the UK in July. I have two nights booked in the valley, a wilderness permit for Cathedral lakes starting on the 9th, and then two more nights booked in the valley at the end of my hike.

I have lots of questions to ask, but first off, I was wondering what conditions I can expect on the high areas between Cathedral lakes trail head, and Glacier point? (Apart from plenty of mosquitoes)

Is it too early in the year to be able to tell how much snow I am likely to encounter?

Thanks for your thoughts everybody

Steve
February 22, 2013 01:30PM
Generally it's hard to say what the snow pack will be like until April or so, but as of now this year seems to be a dry one, so unless we have a wet March, July should be mostly--if not completely--snow- and mosquito-free for that part of Yosemite. Even in a wet year, it would be unusual to encounter much snow along the JMT between Tuolumne Meadows and the valley.
avatar Re: Trail conditions in early July
February 22, 2013 01:53PM
Snow free, probably. Mosquito free, I doubt it.

Even in relatively low water years, there's usually sufficient mosquitos flying around to be a nuisance in July, especially in and around Tuolumne Meadows and throughout the Yosemite high country. July is almost always the peak month for mosquito activities in the high country of Yosemite, wet years or dry years. And mosquitos can still be pretty bad some years in Yosemite Valley itself in July, though I've had the worse problems in June within Yosemite Valley and lower elevations.

February 22, 2013 03:32PM
Mosquitos are ALWAYS a plague in Yosemite in July, even in the driest years. Last year I was able to do Cathedral Lakes in May because it was an incredibly low snowfall year. Other years it hasn't been passable until early July. This year it's been equally as dry, but it's far too early to tell what July conditions will be like in the High Country or in the Sierras. All it takes is one significant snowfall in April or May and that changes everything. If you want snowfree conditions for sure in July, you can do Glacier Point via the Four Mile Trail on the Valley Floor, then proceed to Nevada Falls and the JMT. That portion of the hike would not have snow. But if you start at the Cathedral Lakes trailhead, you have to be prepared for snow.

You'll know for sure by mid-May.
February 23, 2013 09:45AM
Thanks guys. I will check back later in the year to see how it's looking.

I don't want or need snowfree conditions, I was curious I guess. Not that a bit of snow will change much for me, apart from possibly making trail following a bit more difficult.

How about over by Dana/Gibbs/Mono pass? I am hoping to spend a couple of days exploring that area first, does snow linger around there much?

Steve
February 23, 2013 03:13PM
TechieSteve
How about over by Dana/Gibbs/Mono pass? I am hoping to spend a couple of days exploring that area first, does snow linger around there much?
Steve

That area is higher in elevation but is pretty much treeless and exposed to sun so snow melts off quickly. Dana and Gibbs are good climbs. Check out Parker Pass while there and the old pioneer cabins near Mono Pass. Be aware that there is no camping inside the park throughout that area. There is camping and water outside the park down the Mono Pass trail and you will need a wilderness permit.

Old Dude
February 25, 2013 08:00AM
Thanks. I was hoping to do Mono Pass from Walker Lake, with an overnight stay just outside of the park, somewhere near Upper Sardine Lake. I would need a permit for this from The Inyo National Forest. They issue 8 per day for the Bloody Canyon trailhead, but I am not sure if there are any left. Might call them tomorrow.

The only problem with that, is the logistics of picking up the permit, as the issuing stations are a little out of my way, but I think that potential part of my trip is best left to another thread.

Steve
February 25, 2013 08:20AM
You should be able to check the Inyo NF permit quota online, go to Recreation.gov and start typing Inyo National Forest in the search box, before you get that far you should see a wilderness permits option.
February 26, 2013 06:51AM
Thanks.

Permit Booked.

Picking it up is a bit of a pain though, as I have to drive all the way from the Valley to Mono Lake, and back a couple of days before my hike, but at least that will give me a chance to check out Tuolumne Meadows, and Lower Lee Vining Campgrounds in the light, as the next time I see them would be likely in the dark, with a pack on my back smiling smiley

Thanks.
February 26, 2013 07:22AM
Here's a couple of 4th July trips from previous years.
2010:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,27023,27023#msg-27023

2011:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,40408,40408#msg-40408

2012:
We did Green Creek - Virginia - Matterhorn - Slide Canyons - Out Glines
(put up a few pix... mostly in 3D)
(no snow to speak of... )

Anywho... may find those interesting... may beee nut

Have fun on ur trip

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login