Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bear Cans for Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 09, 2013 09:44AM
Hi all!

A quick one this.

Which bear can would you fine people recommend for a 6-7 day solo trip?

I have looked at the list of approved ones, and think that these two look pretty good:

BearVault 500

Lighter1 Big Daddy

I can't stretch to a Bearicade sad smiley

They both see fairly similar in price, size, and weight. The Big Daddy is slightly smaller, but the lid does double up as a pan, which seems very handy.

Any thoughts on either?

Steve
April 09, 2013 10:38AM
If you only need a large can for this one trip, my advice would be to rent the Bearikade Expedition--after making sure it fits into your pack. Sure, it's spendy, but it seems many people have problems stuffing 6-7 days' worth of food into a "normal" sized can, and often resort to storing food illegally the first few days out--not a good idea. The Expedition is only 5 oz heavier than the Weekender, and the extra space is nice. Maybe it's me, but I also like having some extra space in the can after all the "required" food is packed to toss in a treat or two that don't need to be crushed...

My only complaint about the BearVaults is that the lids can sometimes be hard to remove--one big problem area concerns the latches that have to be pressed in to remove the lid. People have resorted to removing the latch tabs, but this results in a non-compliant canister, and bears know how to unscrew lids...

The pan/lid thing of the Big Daddy seems to be to be a bit of a gimmick, and unless they have updated it, the weights on the website don't include the lid/pan, so the combo is heavier than a BV500 + a lightweight pot. Also, when you are cooking your food in active bear areas, your canister really should be sealed, which using the lid as a pot negates, and I often find it handy to use the (closed) canister as either a small table or stool.
April 09, 2013 06:21PM
basilbop
If you only need a large can for this one trip, my advice would be to rent the Bearikade Expedition--after making sure it fits into your pack. Sure, it's spendy, but it seems many people have problems stuffing 6-7 days' worth of food into a "normal" sized can, and often resort to storing food illegally the first few days out--not a good idea. The Expedition is only 5 oz heavier than the Weekender, and the extra space is nice. Maybe it's me, but I also like having some extra space in the can after all the "required" food is packed to toss in a treat or two that don't need to be crushed...

My only complaint about the BearVaults is that the lids can sometimes be hard to remove--one big problem area concerns the latches that have to be pressed in to remove the lid. People have resorted to removing the latch tabs, but this results in a non-compliant canister, and bears know how to unscrew lids...

The pan/lid thing of the Big Daddy seems to be to be a bit of a gimmick, and unless they have updated it, the weights on the website don't include the lid/pan, so the combo is heavier than a BV500 + a lightweight pot. Also, when you are cooking your food in active bear areas, your canister really should be sealed, which using the lid as a pot negates, and I often find it handy to use the (closed) canister as either a small table or stool.
What basilbop said. Rent one if you're only going to use it for one trip.
avatar Re: Bear Cans for Yosemite
April 09, 2013 09:31PM
These are my favorites:

1) Mammoth Brewing Epic IPA
2) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
3) Red Hook Longhammer IPA

Stick them under a couple of rocks in a lake or stream and you're safe. Sometimes I'll place them as I hike and fetch them on my way back.

Oh - I thought you said beer cans. Never mind.
April 09, 2013 10:39PM
QITNL
Oh - I thought you said beer cans. Never mind.

I read beer first too. winking smiley
April 09, 2013 10:56AM
Here's the thing: Over the past 15 years I have bought a Garcia, a BearVault, a BearBoxer, and two Ursacks and finally a Bearikade. The Bearikade is so, so worth it and if I had just sucked it up in the beginning I would have spent far less in the long run. If you plan on using it over and over again it is a worthy investment.
April 09, 2013 01:06PM
Another potential issue with the Big Daddy -- could the pan warp from too much heat from your stove, and if so then how would you re-seal the canister?
April 09, 2013 01:46PM
I can get six days of food in my Weekender if I carry the first night's dinner and lunch. Also, if you repackage freeze dried dinners, it helps. I personnaly think that going with a rented weekender is a good idea, or buy one if you can. They have a steep asking price but will literally last a lifetime.
April 09, 2013 05:50PM
I agree--an experienced bear-can packer can probably go 6 (or more) days in a Weekender, but based on general Internet comments, it seems many people will require something larger. If renting, the difference in cost between the Weekender and Expedition is only a dollar a day.

Edit: Also, if "TechieSteve" is really a techie, then it has to be the high-tech carbon-fiber canister designed by former (?) aerospace engineers :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 05:51PM by basilbop.
April 10, 2013 03:02PM
basilbop

Edit: Also, if "TechieSteve" is really a techie, then it has to be the high-tech carbon-fiber canister designed by former (?) aerospace engineers :-)

Yes, I am a Technican - a Theatre Technician in fact! Lights, sound, pyrotechnics. That's me.

I am a total geek for technology, so the Carbon Fiber Bearicade really appeals, I just can't justify the cost tho, as it will only get used once or twice a year :-(

Steve
April 10, 2013 03:09PM
TechieSteve
Bearicade really appeals, I just can't justify the cost tho

That's why we are telling you to rent one. The rental deal is more than fair.

We have a Weekender, an Expedition, and a custom super-size one that's a couple of inches bigger than the Expedition. They are so worth it!
April 10, 2013 08:01PM
Yes, Rent The Bearikade!

(I have both the weekender and the expedition)

(seriously...the big Bearikade will still cut weight off any of the other options which don't hold nearly as much)
April 10, 2013 05:58PM
TechieSteve
I just can't justify the cost tho, as it will only get used once or twice a year :-(

The obviously solution is to get out there more. winking smiley
April 10, 2013 12:04AM
yeah i clicked on this because i thought it said beer; sorry! :-)
April 10, 2013 06:08PM
Da big bearikcade can easily hold a few perrets. They're like cats though. You gotta shove dem in der:

After a bit they pipe down.

(if you only go once or twice a year... imo I'd just rent a garcia from the park service)
(garcia was the only can avail many moons ago... worked then... works now... )
(ok.. ok... I finally bought a bearikade.. but still love my little Bear Boxer)

Have fun
and Happy Perret Stuffin'

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 10, 2013 07:21PM
Nice Perret, where can I get one?
April 10, 2013 09:16PM
parklover
Nice Perret, where can I get one?

Purty sure they give those away with a box of Froot Loops.
Or maybe it was Cocoa Poofs.

Can't really remember.

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 11, 2013 08:51AM
Been eating Trix no Perrets in them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login