Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Lyell Spring '13

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lyell Spring '13
June 08, 2013 08:37PM
Memorial day weekend attempt on Lyell, thought I'd just share a few pics to show conditions. No new territory here, but good times. Snow line right at 10,500' and the snow excellent. Disappointed to get rejected by the summit plateau rock face, our party did not find it welcoming: ledges all covered and rock all icy. On a previous late-summer climb we enjoyed the summit scramble very much. But this early season business was too icy for us.

Lake Mile 160

Donohue Pass

10,500'

Lyell & Maclure

Roped party on glacier, aiming for east arete (they backed off and traversed to NW ridge, don't know if they summited that way)

Big mac...

The way home, Monday's storm building.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2013 08:41PM by Klas.
June 08, 2013 09:27PM
Great pictures, thank you for sharing! I'll be out that way soon enough.
June 09, 2013 01:15AM
Thank you very much for the pictures. Can you give any idea on the conditions in lower Lyell Canyon between the glacier and Tuolumne? The wilderness rangers report that it is extremely wet and muddy per usual, but there are still penty of places to camp right? It hasn't been flooded to the point where tent camping will be unsustainable for the environment? Any pictures would be appreciated.
June 09, 2013 10:34AM
The lower canyon is not too wet, just some muddy spots on the trail, but no concern about finding a dry pitch. Soon enough the fog of bugs will be thicker than the mud...
June 09, 2013 11:02AM
Klas
The lower canyon is not too wet, just some muddy spots on the trail, but no concern about finding a dry pitch. Soon enough the fog of bugs will be thicker than the mud...

Thanks for the update! My attitude is if the bugs are being too pesky and swarmlike then I'm not at a high enough altitude.
June 12, 2013 07:58AM
Klas, thanks for posting... if you go anywhere off the beaten track..
please post. Still haven't gone up Johnson Trail... stuff opened too soon this year...
Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 12, 2013 08:45AM
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I'll be there on Friday. I hope we have better luck with the class 3 to the summit.
June 12, 2013 01:00PM
Beautiful pics, this is awesome stuff. thumbs upsmileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login