Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Ostrander Lake (pics)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 09, 2013 07:27PM
I spent the weekend at Ostrander Lake. The original plan was to continue on to Hart Lakes, but it was bloody hot, Ostrander's water temperature passed my 'swimmable' threshold, so I camped and went swimming.

Conditions:

Mosquitoes: They're out in full force.

Swimming: I have reasonable cold water tolerance...by that standard, the water was swimmable. This is probably the earliest I've been swimming in a Sierra lake (previous 'record' was third weekend of June in Lake Tahoe). The thermocline was probably about 4 feet down, to be really good for swimming it needs to drop a couple feet. Treading water - my feet and calves froze. Swimming, floating on my back...I had fun.

A morning view of Ostrander Lake:

Two views of the Clark Range:

A meadow near the trailhead:

Re: Ostrander Lake (pics)
June 10, 2013 01:28AM
Can anyone identify which peaks those are in the Clark range photos?

Thanks for the update tilley - ostrander lake and that meadow look gorgeous. Glad to hear you had a great trip.
avatar Re: Ostrander Lake (pics)
June 10, 2013 07:14AM
The Clark Range photos were taken in the direction of Red Peak/Merced Peak.
June 10, 2013 07:54AM
Here's the same-ish faux toes annotated ... 2 years ago... same date-ish.. June 10th:

You cannot see Red Peak itself from Horizon Ridge.

Here was that trip:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,38691,38691#msg-38691

Good luck swim-on in der den Tom
tongue sticking out smiley

Half Dome fun Out Der

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Ostrander Lake (pics)
June 10, 2013 09:41AM
Wow such a stark contrast in snow levels - those comparison shots are crazy! Looks like I won't have much trouble avoiding snow in those passes.
June 10, 2013 06:26PM
Pretty cool to see the same scenes in poor versus extreme snow years, thanks.

At least I'm not the only one in this thread who appreciates excellent High Sierra Swimming. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 10, 2013 08:23AM
Awesome! Thanks for the report and photos, it looks amazing up there.
June 10, 2013 11:33AM
Nice! I swam in the first lake at Ten Lakes on Saturday - it was a perfect temperature and far warmer than I would have expected on the first weekend of June. It felt especially great after the hot hike in. Plus it must have stirred up some yummy fish food stuck on the bottom of the lake since last summer - MrC caught limits in about half an hour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login