Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Gibbs

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Gibbs
June 11, 2013 07:45PM
Correct my errors.

Have some unfinished business with this Mammoth one. Perhaps soon.

From first ridge or so, heading up towards Gibbs:

Koip/Kuna, I presume:

Towards the False:

Lyell & Company.

Stayin' alive, stayin' alive. We're headed up towards that big, bad summit & stayin' alive, stayin' alive (lame, I know):

"Oh Dana - you & me girl, got a lot of love in store...And it flows through you, and it flows through me..." (how romantic, no?)

Nothing left but soggy business cards.

Clouds Rest left-center background, I believe. Help me out with the other stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 07:46PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
June 11, 2013 08:03PM
Pretty cool. And, wow...yes there's places w/ snow up there, but early June...
June 11, 2013 10:16PM
Good deal. Nice to see u guys posting stuff.

Koip/Kuna... nope... neither... just the Kuna Crest...

In your "help me"... you should be able to make out Matthes and Echos

You should be carrying a backpack... so you can make it up Florence.

And where's the dragon pix?

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 12, 2013 10:19AM
chick-on
Good deal. Nice to see u guys posting stuff.

Koip/Kuna... nope... neither... just the Kuna Crest...

In your "help me"... you should be able to make out Matthes and Echos

You should be carrying a backpack... so you can make it up Florence.

And where's the dragon pix?

Just the crest, gotcha. For the help, I should have been more specific. So you helped ID Johnson, Raffart, and the other one must be 11,105/Reymann? Been on all three, still can't ID. Sad, huh?

What dragon? tongue sticking out smiley
June 12, 2013 07:09AM
Fantastic pics, thanks.

Is that Helen Lake in the view towards Lyell?

I am hopefully staying at Mono pass (just outside the park border, of course) in July, so it is nice to see that snow coverage isn't too bad, and I hear it is melting quick.

What is the route from Gibbs to Dana like at the moment?

Steve
June 12, 2013 07:28AM
Light bulb finally went off on the "Koip/Kuna" one... you can just see
Bingaman on the right side of the pix. The red rocks... that is just above Spillway...

TS, yes, that's Helen Lake.

June 12, 2013 07:50AM
Two above show stuff clearer... but pretty sure this is right:
(def. not simple)

June 12, 2013 10:26AM
TechieSteve
Fantastic pics, thanks.

Is that Helen Lake in the view towards Lyell?

I am hopefully staying at Mono pass (just outside the park border, of course) in July, so it is nice to see that snow coverage isn't too bad, and I hear it is melting quick.

What is the route from Gibbs to Dana like at the moment?

Steve

It's doable, probably more difficult from Gibbs to Dana direction. You're probably good enough to do it in either direction. From certain angles, it looked as if the route coming down from Dana is still snow-covered. But there's clearly a way down that's snow-free now. I'll try to find a pic later. Or I'll just let da Byrdser do it. He has better stuff.
June 12, 2013 08:48AM
Wow, my wife just headed out for Tuolumne yesterday and I told her how I thought it'd be a great time to climb Gibbs/Dana cause they would probably be covered in snow. Guess not!
June 18, 2013 12:35AM
Thanks for the info. Pls let us know if you get any updates or pics from her trip. I am doing Mt Dana and probably Gibbs on June 23rd. I am more curious about the route from Dana to Gibbs.Thanks
AndrewF
Wow, my wife just headed out for Tuolumne yesterday and I told her how I thought it'd be a great time to climb Gibbs/Dana cause they would probably be covered in snow. Guess not!
June 18, 2013 07:44AM
nwhkr
Thanks for the info. Pls let us know if you get any updates or pics from her trip. I am doing Mt Dana and probably Gibbs on June 23rd. I am more curious about the route from Dana to Gibbs.Thanks
AndrewF

In case Andrew doesn't see this... I actually met Andrew at the TM permit station and talked to him and his wife
for a bit of time. They were heading up Lyell... he told me she went up the previous day and was biking up
White Mountain... was going to do Dana... but with so little snow decided to join him instead.
I'm pretty sure I got that right. With so many posts it's just possible that he misses this.

If this helps at all... I took this from Mt. Althuski on Friday:

June 18, 2013 07:58AM
Went up Dana on Sunday.A little snow on the way up,it was soft enough to walk through,or you can walk around.Looked clear to Gibbs.
June 18, 2013 11:38PM
Chick-on/Grant1 - Thanks a lot for the info, this is greatsmiling smiley. I am looking forward to my outing this weekend as out group of 5 is doing a saturday evening hike to Clouds Rest and then a sunday morning hike to Mt Dana. I am keen to do Mt. Gibbs as well and and we'll see how the group feels about it.
June 19, 2013 09:16AM
Ohnivy-Drak
"Oh Dana - you & me girl, got a lot of love in store...And it flows through you, and it flows through me..." (how romantic, no?)

What, no Chock-Full-O-Nuts coffee cans with ashes of Jack & Morgan?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login