Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mount Lyell

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mount Lyell
June 18, 2013 10:36AM
Edited to add captions etc...

After a long winter, it's good to be back in the High Sierra...

Mount Dana

Helen Pass

Cathedral Range

Kuna Peak

Ritter Range

Crampons on, heading up the Lyell Glacier

The low snow year meant there was only 4-5" of snow on top of blue glacier ice. Good thing we brought the crampons.

From the summit, towards Hutchings Creek drainage

Maclure Lakes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 04:00PM by AndrewF.
June 18, 2013 10:56AM
Hmm... lemme guess... Z wife said "I DO NOT want to hike up Lyell Canyon"
smiling smiley

Great route... def. gotta do that someday.

And nice talking to you.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 18, 2013 02:41PM
Good meeting you at the permit station. What are the chances? Probably about the same chances as me finding my buddy's sunglasses in the talus field above Helen Lake from when he lost them on the same loop last August. I should buy a lotto ticket or something.

We didn't end up making it to the basin below Lyell until Saturday afternoon, so we waited until Sunday to climb it. Didn't have time to go out over Amelia Earhart so we dropped down to the JMT again. Will have to check out that ridge some other time. My wife suggested next time we do that side of the loop first and climb Maclure when we get up there. Always more to do.
June 18, 2013 04:05PM
AndrewF

Good meeting you at the permit station. What are the chances?

Considering the amount of backpacking both of you love to do, the question that should be asked is why the two of you haven't bumped into each other at the permit station earlier. The answer might be: self-registration (in the off-season). wink

Probably about the same chances as me finding my buddy's sunglasses in the talus field above Helen Lake from when he lost them on the same loop last August. I should buy a lotto ticket or something.

We didn't end up making it to the basin below Lyell until Saturday afternoon, so we waited until Sunday to climb it. Didn't have time to go out over Amelia Earhart so we dropped down to the JMT again. Will have to check out that ridge some other time. My wife suggested next time we do that side of the loop first and climb Maclure when we get up there. Always more to do.

Thanks for the trip report and all the photos. Can never get tired at looking at photos of Yosemite, especially of places I might never get to.

June 18, 2013 05:49PM
It's funny, we actually have run into each other before - we talked to each other on the Snow Creek trail this winter. The only reason I recognized him was because he was wearing the same hat. He doesn't look anywhere near as pink in person.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login