Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Hitch Hiking

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Hitch Hiking
June 24, 2013 10:37AM
Hello!

I got lucky with campsites and booked upper pines next week M-F. I want to hike to Tenaya Lake from the Valley one of the days. In terms of getting back, the bus schedule didn't offer much help. I could be reading it wrong but it seems like YARTS last trip from the meadows is noon. Although do-able...I think I'd rather hang out on the beach for a bit. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2013/Sonora%20Hwy%20120%20Map%202013-05-28.pdf

My question comes around hitch hiking from Tenaya Lake. I'll bring a piece of cardboard with me saying I want to grab a ride to the Valley. How hard do you think this will be? What are the ranger rules with hitch hiking? Any other creative options to get back to the Valley? I'm not creepy looking...at least I don't think so.
avatar Re: Yosemite Hitch Hiking
June 24, 2013 10:50AM
The DNC Hikers Bus leaves later than that. Here's the info. They seem to be geared to round trips but you might ask them what your chances would be of getting a return-only seat.
June 24, 2013 12:56PM
gophersnake
The DNC Hikers Bus leaves later than that. Here's the info. They seem to be geared to round trips but you might ask them what your chances would be of getting a return-only seat.

The fares posted on that page include a one way fare from (or to?) the Valley to Tenaya Lake It also says,"Bus can be flagged for pick-up or drop off at any trailhead."
avatar Re: Yosemite Hitch Hiking
June 24, 2013 01:12PM
gkam2

Hello!

I want to hike to Tenaya Lake from the Valley one of the days. In terms of getting back, the bus schedule didn't offer much help.

Just curious, but why not do the hike in the opposite direction (from Tenaya Lake to the Valley). A bit less strenuous and you can take DNC's Hiker Bus from Yosemite Valley to the Tenaya Lake and not worry about either finding a ride or a bus to get back to your campsite.

gkam2

My question comes around hitch hiking from Tenaya Lake. I'll bring a piece of cardboard with me saying I want to grab a ride to the Valley. How hard do you think this will be? What are the ranger rules with hitch hiking? Any other creative options to get back to the Valley? I'm not creepy looking...at least I don't think so.

People hitchhike (or at least try to) all the time in Yosemite. From what I heard, it easier to hitchhike if you're a woman (or with a woman) or if you're a man, you're not too big and tall. I doubt you'll run into any hassles with any rangers.

June 24, 2013 01:18PM
Both ways would be fun. But since were staying in upper pines I imagine us leaving early from our site, hiking a while to get over to the lake, put down a towel and relax on the beach and get in the water a bit, get a hitch back to the valley and light up the bbq.

More relaxing progression I suppose. I'm pretty sure I'll just try and flag someone down. I mean it can't be thattttt hard right? ha
June 24, 2013 04:17PM
I hitchhiked last year a short route from Glacier Point to Mono Meadows Trailhead - about 5 miles - I got picked up in 10 minutes and I had just been backpacking for a week so I looked pretty rancid - Of course there were steady opportunities for rides coming out of Glacier Point -

My understanding is people hitchhike all the time in Yosemite - People are pretty friendly and I bet you could get a ride pretty quickly -

If I were you, I would take PLawrences recommendation to heart - that would take out the uncertainty of getting a ride and the hike wouldn't be too hard (Long but not too hard)

BTW - Hiking between Tenaya Lake and the Valley is somewhere around 17 miles and your elevation is over 5K ft (I think - ask Chick-on, he would know) - If you think you could make it from the Valley to Tenaya Lake before Lunch, your overly optimistic - Unless you are a triathlete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 04:22PM by SoCalCPA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login