Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Hot time in the High Sierra

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hot time in the High Sierra
June 28, 2013 06:55PM
This weekend is going to be darn hot, even at the higher elevations. Weather forecasts are calling for temps to get into the 90's at 5,000, and that means that they will still be in the 80s in the High Sierra. You can expect the usual low humidity, too. So please stay cool, and stay hydrated this weekend.

Lots of sunscreen, lots of shade, lots of light clothing, and lots of water!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Hot time in the High Sierra
June 28, 2013 08:55PM
balzaccom
Weather forecasts are calling for temps to get into the 90's at 5,000, and that means that they will still be in the 80s in the High Sierra.

The forecast is for 93 °F for Tuolumne Meadows (8500') on Tuesday. sad smiley
June 28, 2013 11:00PM
eeek
balzaccom
Weather forecasts are calling for temps to get into the 90's at 5,000, and that means that they will still be in the 80s in the High Sierra.

The forecast is for 93 °F for Tuolumne Meadows (8500') on Tuesday. sad smiley

The people trying to do Half Dome from the valley are going to DIE!
June 28, 2013 11:10PM
wherever

Like they don't already?
June 30, 2013 05:09PM
Ouch!

And I was worried about keeping warm during my upcoming trip. I might not end up needing the fancy/expensive down jacket I just bought.

At least I'll need and use the new rain shell.

( note to self: bring extra garbage bags to keep things dry in )
June 30, 2013 05:28PM
qumqats
I might not end up needing the fancy/expensive down jacket I just bought.

Not unless it comes with A/C.
June 30, 2013 07:17PM
eeek

Not unless it comes with A/C.

'Air-conditioned clothes' help Japan beat heat

By Miwa Suzuki (AFP) – Jul 18, 2011

“TODA, Japan — As jackets go it looks far from fashionable, but its Japanese maker cannot meet sky-rocketing demand for "air conditioned" coats with built-in fans.

Kuchofuku Co. Ltd -- whose name literally means "air-conditioned clothing" -- has seen orders soar amid power shortages in Japan after the devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

As parts of the nation sweat out an uncomfortable summer shackled by restrictions on electricity use, demand has grown for goods that provide guilt-free respite from the unrelenting summer heat.

Two electric fans in the jacket can be controlled to draw air in at different speeds, giving the garment a puffed-up look. But this has not deterred those happy to be cool rather than "hot" when it comes to fashion...”

AFP: 'Air-conditioned clothes' help Japan beat heat

July 01, 2013 12:56AM
Can I get that in a pillow?
July 01, 2013 02:03AM
An air conditioned pillow was patented in the U.S. in 1977, but I don't think the pillow was ever manufactured in a commercial scale.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4006604

July 01, 2013 03:44PM
eeek
wherever

Like they don't already?

I was on top of Half Dome on Saturday and it was hot but not unbearable - Much worse in the valley - I was stupid though and forgot my sunscreen - My wife let me have it.

The ranger checking permits had to run down to Echo Valley for a couple of teenagers that were dehydrated (At least that was what I heard) How can kids get dehydrated in Echo Valley, the Merced runs right through it - Go figure.
July 01, 2013 04:40PM
SoCalCPA

The ranger checking permits had to run down to Echo Valley for a couple of teenagers that were dehydrated (At least that was what I heard) How can kids get dehydrated in Echo Valley, the Merced runs right through it - Go figure.

Possibly they didn't have a water filter with them and they were too damn scared to drink the water directly from the Merced because they didn't want to end up with giardia. Maybe they were willing to risk dying of dehydration and heat stroke than risk having to vomit and sit in the toilet for three weeks if by small chance they contracted giardia by drinking unfiltered Merced River water in Echo Valley.

July 01, 2013 05:00PM
plawrence
SoCalCPA

Possibly they didn't have a water filter with them and they were too damn scared to drink the water directly from the Merced because they didn't want to end up with giardia. Maybe they were willing to risk dying of dehydration and heat stroke than risk having to vomit and sit in the toilet for three weeks if by small chance they contracted giardia by drinking unfiltered Merced River water in Echo Valley.

True - Nobody would want Giardia obviously but wasn't there a discussion on this messageboard that the possibility of contracting Giardia is pretty remote in the Sierra (I really can't say, I'm no expert) But if I was dehydrated enough that I had a ranger with a full backpack loaded with medical supplies bolting down from Subdome to Echo Valley - I would take a good long drink from the merced, water purifier or not and risk the three weeks on the hopper

That said, I don't go anywhere in the Sierra without a filter - just in case - Why take a risk when you don't have to or need to.
July 01, 2013 05:26PM
In the 80's, I did not have a water filter and drank from hundreds of springs, creeks and rivers all through the Rockies. I guess I was lucky. The first time that I saw a water filter, a $300 Katadyn, I thought it was a rich, yuppie toy. How times have changed! Do you think marketing has anything to do with it?
July 01, 2013 06:14PM
Here is some interesting info about giardia. More cases than I thought. On the Mammoth shuttle to Agnew Meadows they had said that a lot of cases were the result of pack animal use.
http://bucktrack.blogspot.com/2011/03/waterborne-giardia-for-backpackers-no.html
July 01, 2013 08:01PM
yosemitejim
On the Mammoth shuttle to Agnew Meadows they had said that a lot of cases were the result of pack animal use.

While animals are infected with Giardia, their importance as a reservoir is unclear.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/biology.html
July 01, 2013 07:55PM
atomicmonkey
In the 80's, I did not have a water filter and drank from hundreds of springs, creeks and rivers all through the Rockies. I guess I was lucky.

Or you just didn't connect things that happened a week or two later with what you had been drinking.
July 01, 2013 11:05PM
And to think of all those tamale street vendors I used to blame!
July 01, 2013 07:53PM
SoCalCPA
True - Nobody would want Giardia obviously but wasn't there a discussion on this messageboard that the possibility of contracting Giardia is pretty remote in the Sierra (I really can't say, I'm no expert) But if I was dehydrated enough that I had a ranger with a full backpack loaded with medical supplies bolting down from Subdome to Echo Valley - I would take a good long drink from the merced, water purifier or not and risk the three weeks on the hopper

Dehydration can kill quickly; giardiasis will very likely not hit until long after you are home. I know which one I'd pick.
June 29, 2013 10:10AM
I get 81 from the NWS Forecast Site for Tuesday (82 on Monday). Which is still pretty high for Tuolumne Meadows.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login