Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sequoia Rangers, Officers Conduct Sobriety Checkpoin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sequoia Rangers, Officers Conduct Sobriety Checkpoin
July 05, 2013 07:39AM
Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (CA)
Rangers, Officers Conduct Sobriety Checkpoint

The park, in cooperation with Tulare County Sheriff’s Office and the California Highway Patrol, conducted a driving under the influence/sobriety checkpoint near the entrance to
Sequoia National Park on Sunday, June 30th.

A total of 571 drivers received initial screening at the checkpoint. Law enforcement officers conducted field sobriety tests on 13 people. At the checkpoint, officers arrested three people, including one for driving under the influence and two for driving on suspended licenses. One of the suspended licenses was for a prior DUI offense. In addition, a citation was issued for possession of a controlled substance and a warning was issued to a passenger for an open container of alcohol in a vehicle.

This sobriety checkpoint took dangerous drivers off the road, increased public awareness of the consequences of impaired driving, and encouraged the use of sober designated drivers.
avatar Re: Sequoia Rangers, Officers Conduct Sobriety Checkpoin
July 05, 2013 09:10AM
eeek

The park, in cooperation with Tulare County Sheriff’s Office and the California Highway Patrol, conducted a driving under the influence/sobriety checkpoint near the entrance to

A total of 571 drivers received initial screening at the checkpoint. Law enforcement officers conducted field sobriety tests on 13 people. At the checkpoint, officers arrested three people, including one for driving under the influence and two for driving on suspended licenses. One of the suspended licenses was for a prior DUI offense. In addition, a citation was issued for possession of a controlled substance and a warning was issued to a passenger for an open container of alcohol in a vehicle.

I wonder what would be the results if the CHP and NPS rangers conducted a sobriety checkpoint in Yosemite on a Saturday night.? Let's say on Northside Drive at Valley View or El Cap Meadow. It would probably be more than just one DUI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2013 09:30AM by plawrence.
July 08, 2013 10:04AM
plawrence
eeek

I wonder what would be the results if the CHP and NPS rangers conducted a sobriety checkpoint in Yosemite on a Saturday night.? Let's say on Northside Drive at Valley View or El Cap Meadow. It would probably be more than just one DUI.

I've seen the NPS guys doing FST's at least twice, but oddly enough both times on South Side Drive and both before reaching the chapel.

I wish they'd do a LOT more speed control, frankly.
July 08, 2013 02:17PM
tanngrisnir3

On which roads in Yosemite?

July 08, 2013 09:19PM
plawrence
tanngrisnir3

The 35 MPH section between Gin Flat and Crane Flat? The 25 MPH section around Crane Flat? The 25 MPH section near the May Lake/Snow Flat Road junction, or the one along Tenaya Lake? My experience is that most people don't slow down in these sections...
July 08, 2013 11:31PM
basilbop
plawrence
tanngrisnir3

The 35 MPH section between Gin Flat and Crane Flat? The 25 MPH section around Crane Flat? The 25 MPH section near the May Lake/Snow Flat Road junction, or the one along Tenaya Lake? My experience is that most people don't slow down in these sections...

I never understood the necessity of a 25 MPH speed limit on Tioga Road near the May Lake/Snow Flat Road junction. I doubt they're allowed to use radar there since it would be considered a speed trap.

I don't noticed too many people speeding (going above the posted 35 MPH speed limit) on Tioga Road between Gin Flat and the Yosemite Institute on Tioga Road. Of course those same vehicles usually continue on Tioga Road through Crane Flat at 35 MPH (10 MPH above the posted 25 MPH speed limit). I can't recall if the LE Rangers are allowed to use radar on that portion of Tioga Road (through Crane Flat). I know they ARE allowed to use radar on Big Oak Flat Road through Crane Flat (and on the rest of Big Oak Flat Road).

Where I see speeding being the biggest problem in Yosemite is on Northside Drive and Southside Drive inside Yosemite Valley, along Tioga Road through Tuolumne Meadows (most drivers blithely ignore the 25 MPH posted speed limit on Tioga Road near the Tuolumne Meadows Campground) and along Big Oak Flat Road west of Crane Flat. Drivers tend to also speed westbound (downhill) on Glacier Point Road, less so eastbound (uphill).

On most other roads within Yosemite, I think most drivers end up driving near (if not below) the posted speed limit.

July 10, 2013 10:20AM
plawrence
tanngrisnir3

South Side, in particular.
July 10, 2013 07:02PM
Agreed.

Northside Drive too.

July 10, 2013 08:46PM
plawrence
Northside Drive too.

I don't see much speeding on Northside Drive. Probably because of the curves.
July 08, 2013 09:37PM
I was working in sequoia park down there at Ash Mountain on the day of when they were conducting the checkpoint (though I'm normally stationed here in Yosemite). Somebody asked me if they ever do checkpoints in yosemite and come to think of it, I really can't think of any. Closest thing I can think of is the one they do where they randomly check the buses that come into the park to see if they are fully operational and safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 09:40PM by marmot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login