Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Clouds Rest From Merced Lake

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Clouds Rest From Merced Lake
August 20, 2013 06:06AM
We are doing eastern loop of HSCs this year. Tuolumne Meadow, Vogelsang, Merced Lake (3 nights), Sunrise, Tuolumne Meadow - one night each, except the three nights in Merced.

(1) We'd love to get to Clouds Rest one way or the other. It looks too long for a day hike from Merced and we don't have the time to do day hike from Sunrise, so we were thinking of doing it on the way from Merced Lake to Sunrise as a "side trip". First question, is it a ridiculous "side trip" (elevation? distance? from JMT at Sunrise Creek) added on to the hike to Sunrise HSC?

(2) Second question -- if we take Lewis Creek route from Vogelsang to Merced, is Emeric Lake a worthy day trip from Merced Lake? If not, with two full days in Merced, any other suggestions (10 miles round trip or so?)

Thank you.
avatar Re: Clouds Rest From Merced Lake
August 20, 2013 06:39AM
1) It may not be as terrible as one might think... I'm flattening things out a bit here...
mainly b/c the usual route to Sunrise HSC from Merced is via Echo Creek trail...
which is 9.5 miles and 2500 ft. gain.
That way is almost all up... no undulations... really... other than the drop into
Long Meadow area on way back south to the HSC

Taking Forsyth trail and up to Clouds and back via Sunrise Lakes is about
16 miles... 2700 ft. climb to top of Clouds... and then a bit up and down with
a very approx gain of about 800 ft. over Sunrise Mtn area..

Definitely do-able... but as they say... YMMV

2) Go up Merced to Washburn and poke around... go to outlet of Washburn
Last time was there... I really thought the area by where Red Peak Fork hits the
Merced was just something special... I may have just been feeling it ... YMMV

Go down Merced to Bunnell switchers and back... Amazing granite polish and classic Yosemite

3) Have fun

That's my 2 dollas worth (and tanks for the Love) wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 20, 2013 08:16AM
Emeric Lake is definitely a beautiful lake but so is that whole area.

Two weeks ago, I came down Lewis Creek from Lake Evelyn. Vogelsang Lake, the pass, the little tarn near the top of the pass, the view across the pass, the view of Gallison and Bernice lakes and hiking through that incredible meadow made that trail something really special.
I wish I was there right now!
May 16, 2014 12:29PM
I'd like to know what YMMV stands for?
May 16, 2014 12:32PM
cathycsr
I'd like to know what YMMV stands for?

Something that was often used in car ads: Your Mileage May Vary.
May 16, 2014 05:47PM
Given some of the signs in Yosemite, your mileage may definitely vary!
August 20, 2013 09:18PM
You gotta go to Washburn from Merced. Really love that lake. Wife and I had the whole lake to ourselves for several hours one afternoon two summers ago. We brought lunch and a blanket, books and towels. A great day!
August 21, 2013 07:29AM
Thanks for the responses! We'll be sure to do as many as possible. Not too sure our legs will take Clouds Rest this trip from your descriptions!
August 21, 2013 07:36AM
I wouldn't worry too much... I was gonna post yesterday that the Echo Creek trail is quite a bit more scenic overall imo.
Well.. my additional comment was something like ...
One you hit the JMT and start heading up The Forsyth Trail... the views become more limited
and you will probably be asking yourself why you went this way... smiling smiley

btw... Emeric is a 2K climb from Merced Lake. The nicest views are from the areas above it...
which adds more...

Something like this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,65098,65131#msg-65131

Have fun (but def. go check out Washburn)

August 21, 2013 01:07PM
So it's better to hit Emeric Lake on the way from Vogelsang to Merced Lake via Fletcher Creek route? We were discussing Fletcher Creek route vs Lewis Creek.

Thanks again.
August 21, 2013 02:19PM
If could only do one I'd probably pick Lewis Creek. If it's the better of the two is up for debate.

Have fun

August 21, 2013 06:39PM
Our group really liked hiking from Vogelsang to Merced Lake via Lewis Creek trail (with side trip to Bernice Lake.) Our group really did not like hiking from Merced Lake to Vogelsang via Fletcher Creek trail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 06:40PM by Paris92.
August 21, 2013 08:27PM
Obliviously that begs the question of what your group would of thought if they went the opposite direction...
The climb up past Babcock Dome... from Merced Lake to Babcock Lake turnoff... is stellar...
and the meadow and dome east of Emeric is also exceptionally beautiful... I can only think that
the climb up had a huge factor in their like...

August 21, 2013 10:03PM
Might have had something to do with it, but Lewis was more stunning scenery IMO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login