Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Driving from Bay Area Through Yosemite to Bishop

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Driving from Bay Area Through Yosemite to Bishop
October 08, 2013 09:41AM
I'm driving from the Bay Area over Tioga Pass on 120 on Thursday after I get off work. I'm wondering if anyone has done this since the shutdown?

What's the scene at the entrance gate? Will I be stuck behind a line of irate foreigners trying to figure out what to do?

I assume they are not collecting the entrance fees?

Is it worth it to go through the park or should I go north and cross the Sierras using 108?

Thanks in advance for your help!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
avatar Re: Driving from Bay Area Through Yosemite to Bishop
October 08, 2013 09:44AM
Oh...and I promise not to recreate and keep my eyes on the road while passing through the park.

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
October 08, 2013 10:24AM
Take 120.

Gate is open and you will be handled a paper with the "rules".

There are other ways in though .... wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 08, 2013 10:25AM
There is no fee.... b/c you cannot do anything. Keep your eyes on the road.

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 08, 2013 11:02AM
chick-on
Take 120.

If it's open. There's a small storm coming.
October 08, 2013 10:42AM
Keep an eye on the road conditions updates, as it's supposed to snow Wed night...
October 08, 2013 12:07PM
Jayabrams
I'm driving from the Bay Area over Tioga Pass on 120 on Thursday after I get off work. I'm wondering if anyone has done this since the shutdown?

What's the scene at the entrance gate? Will I be stuck behind a line of irate foreigners trying to figure out what to do?

I assume they are not collecting the entrance fees?

Is it worth it to go through the park or should I go north and cross the Sierras using 108?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Take Hwy 50. 108 might be closed too.
October 08, 2013 01:23PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll head through the park if I can. I'll be watching the storm and the changing road conditions.

Now...If I happen to be passing Olmstead Point around sunset and I develop a leg cramp that requires me to stop and stretch, would that be bad?

October 08, 2013 02:20PM
Jayabrams
[...]Now...If I happen to be passing Olmstead Point around sunset and I develop a leg cramp that requires me to stop and stretch, would that be bad?

Safety first... I'm sure they don't want folks getting into accidents out there, taxing already limited resources... leg cramps are serious... best to take care of it at the opportune moment....
October 08, 2013 02:24PM
Safety first...

Drive really slowly on Tioga Road so there's five (or more) vehicles following behind you. Then pull off into the next safe and scenic pullout and let those vehicles pass. wink

Rinse. Repeat.

October 10, 2013 07:08AM
I'm speechless.

This is crazy!

Steve
October 10, 2013 07:34AM
Well it's not looking good for tonight's drive. 120 is closed, and I don't have any hope for help there. I'd bet they are happy it's closed so they don't have to patrol it. 108 is closed for the season. As of right now, Highway 4 is closed at Alpine Lake due to snow. This may reopen, but I think highway 88 past Kirkwood is going to be the winner.

It's going to add about an hour or more to the drive...

It'll be worth it. A quick overnighter up into the Buttermilk Range and then a nice weekend at Convict lake for some fishing and hiking and football watching!

Maybe it will be open on the way home on Monday!

October 10, 2013 07:57AM
CalTrans is now listing 4 as open. Maybe re-confirm before leaving...

CalTrans Website
SR 4
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC FROM 0.8 MI WEST TO 0.3 MI WEST OF STOCKTON
(SAN JOAQUIN CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 0001 HRS ON 11/1/13 -
DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 10 MINUTES

The CA-108 wording is weird - looks like it's open on the Mono County side but closed for the winter from Kennedy Meadows to the summit:

CalTrans
SR 108
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM 26.4 MI EAST OF STRAWBERRY (TUOLUMNE CO) TO 11.7 MI WEST OF
THE JCT OF US 395 /SONORA PASS/ (TUOLUMNE,MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS
ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 2.3 MI WEST TO 1.2 MI
WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395 (MONO CO) FROM 0600 HRS TO 1800 HRS MONDAY THRU
FRIDAY THRU 10/11/13 - DUE TO PERMIT WORK - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS
OF UP TO 15 MINUTES
avatar Looks like it was a short winter...
October 12, 2013 07:07AM
CalTrans
SR 108
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
October 15, 2013 03:27PM
Had a wonderful trip in the Eastern Sierra. I got over to 395 via highways 88 and 89 and then down to the Mammoth Area in about 6 hours.

On the way home 120 had reopened and I made the strange journey through an empty Tuolumne Meadows. I stopped a few times for pictures and even went for a small walk around Olmstead Pt. A Park Ranger came bay after about 30 minutes and cleared out all the tourists (me included).

I'd post pics, but I fear the feds might come looking for their $20 fee. I was clearly enjoying myself against park policy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login