Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Annual Yosemite Bird Count for 2013

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Annual Yosemite Bird Count for 2013
November 05, 2013 05:32PM
Will be held Sunday, Dec. 15th. For info on participating, contact Sarah Stock.

Sarah Stock, Wildlife Biologist
Yosemite National Park
5083 Foresta Road
El Portal, California 95318

Phone: (209) 379-1435
E-mail: sarah_stock@nps.gov
avatar Re: Annual Yosemite Bird Count for 2013
November 06, 2013 12:01PM
I wonder if they'll include a pink chick-on in that count? confused smiley
November 07, 2013 06:07AM
PineCone
I wonder if they'll include a pink chick-on in that count? confused smiley

That species is generally only found at high altitudes nesting near survey markers. I doubt any volunteers will venture that high.Chick-on avec les pieds
November 07, 2013 07:54AM
eyel be out der... but eyel be hiding... purty certain a few peeps would just shoot me

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 07, 2013 09:21AM
It is illegal to shoot guns in the National Park. However, it says nothing about slingshots.
November 07, 2013 11:44AM
Dave
It is illegal to shoot guns in the National Park. However, it says nothing about slingshots.

Slingshot is definitely a weapon.... so you be needing a permit to have one in Yosemite.

Without question too many peeps were taking Bear Spray into the wilderness... that they've
been explicitly asking if you have it when u get a wilderness permit this year.

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 07, 2013 04:13PM
chick-on
Slingshot is definitely a weapon.... so you be needing a permit to have one in Yosemite.

Ah, but it's not a firearm.

Without question too many peeps were taking Bear Spray into the wilderness... that they've
been explicitly asking if you have it when u get a wilderness permit this year.

Rookies. I'm more worried about the humans out there attacking me than any bear.
November 08, 2013 06:12AM
The Chick-on is known to be very aggressive at lower altitudes,---too much oxygen!
Re: Annual Yosemite Bird Count for 2013
November 20, 2013 11:54AM
Here is the official email announcement:

Dear Prospective Bird Counter,
The 82nd annual Yosemite Christmas Bird Count is close at hand, and you are invited to participate! This year's count will be held on Sunday, December 15. If you wish to attend, please contact Sarah Stock at (209) 379-1435 or by email at [email][email protected][/email] so I can plan your zone assignment. It is important to contact me at least a few days before December 15 to receive your assignment, but the sooner the better. Also, please see if you can drum up additional participants from among your friends and family, the more contacts I can add to the list, the better! Last year, 41 enthusiastic participants counted and identified 2,257 birds of 63 species across 6 zones in the park. Some of the highlights included: 1 Northern Harrier in El Portal, one Northern Goshawk carrying a large mammal in its talons near Mirror Lake, 2 Peregrine Falcons, and 9 woodpecker species.

The bird count is a free, all-day event. We start shortly after dawn and continue until around 5 p.m. Participants should dress warmly and wear sturdy shoes, and be prepared for conditions that can vary greatly (layering is the key). Bring binoculars, field guides, lunch, and water. We'd like to have as many people as possible in the field for as long as possible, but it isn't required that every person be out the entire day. Arrangements can be made for participants who can only be out for part of the day. If you are one of these people, it is preferable that you begin at the normal start time for your area (usually as early as 8:00 a.m.) and end early. A rendezvous with a group later in the day is sometimes difficult to arrange.

At 5:30 p.m. on the evening of the count, we’ll meet at the Girls Club (a.k.a. the library) in Yosemite Valley for the compilation of results. The Girls Club is located in Yosemite Village, near the Ranger’s Club, across the street from the park's Administration Building, and next to the NatureBridge office. We will have a potluck style meal, so please plan on bringing something to share with the group (an oven/stove is available at the Girls Club). All count participants are welcome to attend and share your bird observations with the group. When you respond, please let me know if you’ll be attending the compilation.

We'll hope for good weather, but we'll count birds on Sunday, December 15 come rain, snow, or shine. We look forward to your participation. I will send subsequent reminders, but for now, please mark your calendars and let me know if you're planning on joining us. If you have already contacted me and heard back, then you’re on the list!

Sincerely,
Sarah Stock, Wildlife Biologist and Count Compiler

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login