Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: looking for hike suggestions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

looking for hike suggestions
November 27, 2013 09:21PM
As a life time Yosemite visitor who has just started hiking the trails in the last couple years I have started checking off YNP trails. I have so far completed day hikes to Yosemite Falls, top of Half Dome, 4 mile & Panorama, Nevada/Vernal Falls, and Mirror Lake/hidden Falls. My question is what hike would you recommend next? I like loooong, take my time hikes. I don't mind 12 hour,13-17 miles, up before sunrise return after dark hikes (no trail camping). Will do switchbacks (just don't talk to me because I am miserable doing them). I was thinking about the Pohono Trail east to west (Glacier Point to Tunnel View) ..... Thanks for your suggestions.
November 28, 2013 04:48AM
Got it. Snow Creek trail to Indian Rock/North Dome/Yosemite Pt./Yosemite Falls trail.
Did it in September. Pure masochism.
November 28, 2013 07:47AM
Hate going up Snow Creek trail? Me too.
Use the bus!
Suggest taking the 8:30 AM Valley Curry Bus to Porcupine Flat and walking down via Snow Creek...nice one-day hike.
Same bus but start Yosemite Creek off 120 and down the big falls trail.
Up the Yosemite Falls trail, cross the north rim, and down Snow Creek.
November 28, 2013 02:19PM
Another long distance trek would be to the summit of Clouds Rest, from the floor.
I've done it twice, with great effort matching the great rewards that the hike brings.
Read about these two big hikes, and a few more here....

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,70114
avatar Re: looking for hike suggestions
November 29, 2013 05:07AM
I did the Pohono E>W this summer, very nice hike. I stayed overnight but it's a doable day hike if you start early and plan your transportation properly. As I'm sure you know it has 6-8 amazing overlooks, with lots of beautiful forest in between. Once past Taft you will have the trail almost all to yourself. It's billed as mostly downhill in that direction, but Dewey is nearly the same elevation as GP so you gain as much as you drop in the first half, the actual descent is mostly at the western end. Some pics here:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,69141.

Another nice long one that can work as a dayhike is TM to Cathedral Lakes, continue through Cathedral Pass and down Long Meadow to Sunrise, from there take the Sunrise Trail then down to Tenaya Lake. In the summer the free shuttle can then get you back to your car.
avatar Re: looking for hike suggestions
December 05, 2013 06:19AM
Gardenof Evil,
It would appear you have limited your day hiking to the greater Yos Valley area. As JR recommended, the Cathedral trail from Toulumne Meadows around to Sunrise and out is an excellent choice. Another one is TM to Glen Aulin HSC and then out to Tenaya Lake via the Murphy Creek trail. Since you don't mind long round trips, try TM to Young Lakes and back (there's two trails so take a different one each way). This one should include a side trip to Lembert Dome. If you go to Young Lakes be sure to go up to the two upper Young Lakes. Another one (much shorter) starts a few hundred feet from the Tioga Pass gate. It goes to Gaylor Lakes and Granite Lakes. Extend this one off-trail to the ridge above upper Granite Lake for the best views. Another is from Tenaya Lake to May Lake, then up to summit of Mt. Hoffman, then back down and out by way of Murphy Creek trail. Also, there's the North Dome trail from Tioga Road, out and back on the same trail with a mini side trip to the arch on the way to Indian Rock. Lots of possibilities. Enjoy.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login