Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Has anyone gone out of Hetch Hetchy recently?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Has anyone gone out of Hetch Hetchy recently?
January 21, 2014 04:40AM
Just wondering if anyone has been out Hetchy towards Tiltill in the last few weeks...I've finally got a couple days in a row off work this week, so I'm jonesing for a trip. Thanks in advance for any conditions report you guys have.
avatar Re: Has anyone gone out of Hetch Hetchy recently?
January 21, 2014 09:06AM
Haven't been since Mid Nov... but ... what... we had 1 storm since then...
and then there was a bit of snow and ice on the drop into Tiltill Valley...
expect the same... nothing much more...
Go

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 21, 2014 12:08PM
Thank you sir! I'm working tonight, then I'll head out after work tomorrow morning. I'll post a trip report when I get back. My understanding is that the switchbacks are closed, so a loop is out of the question.
January 21, 2014 01:45PM
If you are going to Vernon I would go with the assumption that as soon as you are in the woods heading
up Mt. Gibson ... there will be some snow and ice... I wouldn't have heart set on Vernon.
The drop down may be interesting.
Maybe when you get your permit... someone has gone there that way and they can say... but I doubt it.
There's probably no reason to do a snow survey at this point. Although they may still have.
Don't understand the deal with why the switchbacks are not open. Especially since trails around Laurel are open.
My only guess is that they don't want anyone going to Miguel.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 26, 2014 03:00PM
You were dead on. No snow until you get up to Tiltill. Highs were in the low 60s and the lows were right above freezing. All in all a weird January.
March 06, 2014 01:10PM
It didn't change much, I went back in for the last 3 days. Although, there was a fresh wash out on the trail past Wapama Falls after the rains on Monday night. It is still passable, but you gotta do the hop/skip thing over downed trees and boulders.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login