Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ribbon Falls

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 15, 2014 08:30AM
We'd like to do the off-trail hike to Ribbon Falls early next week but I don't know what the water conditions are like. We did this hike a couple years ago on May 1 but there was too much water coming over the falls to enter the amphitheater. We're thinking the water may be down early in this dry year. Has anyone been to the valley recently and can comment on how much water is coming over the falls? We would want to see very little water. If you can easily see the falls from Southside Drive then that's too much water. A wet rock face with no obvious white water would be ideal.

Thanks!
May 15, 2014 09:46AM
As of last Sunday, there was too much water for you. In fact, the waver was flowing very nicely over the brink (as much water as I seen flowing over it within the last two years).

By mid-June (probably by early June this year), it should be dry enough for you.

May 15, 2014 10:30AM
Thanks! There must be a lot more snow up there than I thought there could be in such a dry year. Maybe we'll be lucky and there'll be a cool spell in early June. Usually it's too hot for us to hike that by June.
May 15, 2014 11:17AM
I think the early May storms helped revitalize Ribbon Fall's watershed. There appeared more water going its brink last weekend than five weeks earlier in early April.

Re: Ribbon Falls
May 18, 2014 10:20AM
May be too late, but I just got back from the valley and the flow of Ribbon has slowed down during the week. Opposite of the Merced, in which the flow was increasing and still may be rising.
May 19, 2014 05:29PM
No, not too late! We haven't gone yet. Thanks for the update.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login