Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Sleeping bags or no sleeping bags?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sleeping bags or no sleeping bags?
May 16, 2014 12:16PM
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the wool blankets provided by the HSC are sufficient enough to keep you warm and cozy even up at Vogelsang? Or is it recommended to bring your own down sleeping bag? I know the beauty of the HSC is you can travel light, but if that means being cold at night, it's not worth it to me. I'm trying to find out if I can count on the wool blankets or if I should plan on packing the down bag. Thanks!
avatar Re: Sleeping bags or no sleeping bags?
May 16, 2014 12:33PM
What was supplied at Bearpaw HSC was certainly enough to keep me warm.
May 16, 2014 05:10PM
When we did Bearpaw a few times years ago, they had down comforters which were great. The Yosemite HSC wool blankets proved themselves too heavy and cold for me time and time again, and I started bringing my own bag for use on top. I layered all the wool blankets I could find UNDER me, to help insulate from the heat sink that was the bed. That worked pretty darned well! smiling smiley
May 16, 2014 04:09PM
The wool blankets are fine. They pile up several on each cot. But bring a lightweight liner to sleep in. They want to save laundry.
avatar Re: Sleeping bags or no sleeping bags?
May 16, 2014 05:50PM
The first year doing the HSC loop we did not bring sleeping bags. That year got down to about 29 degrees at night. The camps that had extra blankets gave them to the folks in our party that wanted them. Vogelsang ran out it was so cold. Have done the camps for about five years. After the first year all of us have brought down bags to the camps. I use a 35-degree bag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login