Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Fireplace Fire

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fireplace Fire
June 15, 2014 09:02AM
Yosemite, CA....Fireplace (37 44.068 x 119 40.949; El. 7,000’; Mariposa Co.) The Fireplace Fire was reported by Signal Peak Lookout at 06:30 AM today. The fire is in the area of Fireplace Bluffs, on the north rim of the Valley, and west of El Capitan. It is between two trails; the Old Coulterville Road, and the trail to El Capitan from Tamarack Flat campground. The fire is directly across from Tunnel View. Yosemite Helicopter 551 did a reconnaissance flight over the fire and found the smoldering and creeping fire burning through brush and timber, with 1-2’ flame lengths. Some single tree torching occurred. The fire is being put out with two helicopters, one helitack crew, one Yosemite engine crew and the Sierra National Forest Hot Shots. The fire is visible from many Yosemite National Park locations, including Glacier Point, Wawona, Big Oak Flat and Valley Roads. Smoke is also visible in the communities of Foresta and Yosemite West....

By late afternoon, the fire had grown to 5 acres, but with fire suppression efforts the visible smoke had diminished. The fire at 4PM was 75% contained.

No trails are closed and the fire poses no threats to park infrastructure or facilities. To avoid periodic smoke, hikers are urged to pass through the area quickly.
June 15, 2014 06:46PM
Across Hwy 49 from Signal Peak, and a bit south, is Miami Mountain Lookout. It's staffed only by volunteers doing one day at a time. It's going to be a hot, dry, summer and we could use all the volunteers we can get. Here's the website: http://www.fire-lookouts.org/cali/miami_mtn/
June 15, 2014 07:50PM
Hmm.... they must have not been looking on the 14th???

(enhanced for my enjoyment)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 16, 2014 09:01AM
Start date June 14, 2014. Contained June 15, 2014.

The Fireplace fire was declared contained Sunday, June 15. The total acres are 3.6 acres, revised from the 5 acre estimate of Saturday. Yosemite fire crews, Helicopter 551 and the Sierra National Forest Hot Shots will continue to mop-up the fire to insure there is not a re-kindle of the fire. Light, but visible smoke may continue to be seen from various areas within the park. The fire is being investigated as to cause.

Other fires are occurring daily through-out the immediate area of Mariposa, Madera and Tuolumne Counties. Helicopter 551 continues to respond for Initial Attack resource. Fortunately fast actions by all fire crews have kept fires small. Please use caution with all activities involving the potential for fire, including BBQs.
June 18, 2014 09:36AM
I may get some heat for this, but I really wish they'd ban all campfires this season. Any elevation in all parts of the backcountry. What we've seen already is very worrisome. Conditions are really dry. It was sad to see so many sickly plants and trees. Very worried. Natural causes (t-storms) are bad enough. Human mistakes that could be avoided.. I say should be avoided.
June 18, 2014 06:46PM
A ban on backcountry fires is brewing.

Old Dude
June 18, 2014 07:55PM
  • SEKI NP - went to Stage 1 fire restrictions today (6/18) - not strong enough for backcountry, I think.
  • Inyo NF - Inyo wasn't loading properly for me, but their alerts page didn't have anything listed, unlike Humboldt-Toiyabe
  • Humboldt-Toiyabe NF - certain ranger districts restricted to stage 1, but their Stage 1 is more restrictive it seems, and I'm all in favor of it.
  • Sierra NF- no alerts I could find tonight
  • Sequoia NF - Stage 1 - good!

I'd be happy to hear updates!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login