Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mosquito Reports Around Cathedral Lakes?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mosquito Reports Around Cathedral Lakes?
July 07, 2014 09:05AM
We're looking to go up there soon but not if we're going to get bombed. Anyone been up there recently?

Thanks
July 07, 2014 09:58AM
They were virtually nonexistant on July 4th, except for a minor assault around sunset. I spent all afternoon lakeside without a bite...and no DEET. And the water is warmer than expected too...cool, but swimmable (probably around 70 deg). Lower Sunrise Lake was even warmer.

Pictures coming.

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 10:01AM by redpakotasea.
July 07, 2014 08:25PM
We were up there July 4. Not sure how the other person above missed the swarms, but, we got tore up along the trail where it opens up to the green grass and flowers. It was about 4-6pm when we brought out the OFF spray and it helped. I'd take some as a backup. There were no Mosquitos at the lower lake. But, once we got back on the trail at 6, we got manhandled by the buzzing critters.
July 07, 2014 11:31PM
We camped at the west end of the lake on a granite ridge near the outlet, well away from the grassy area...kudos to balzaccom for the idea. :-)

...didn't get a single bite on my way in around 2 pm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 11:36PM by redpakotasea.
avatar Re: Mosquito Reports Around Cathedral Lakes?
July 08, 2014 07:33AM
Thanks for the reports. Sounds like they're spotty. We don't take the regular trail. We take the use trail that starts about a mile or so east of Tenaya Lake and gets us to the lower lake in 1.2 miles. We want to go up to Tressider Peak which is mostly open granite once you get above the upper lake.
July 17, 2014 09:30PM
too late?? Well, for the record, i saw hardly any at all yesterday. Went to matthes, echo up/low cathedral, hardly any at all
July 18, 2014 07:35AM
Not too late for me! I might head by there next weekend. Thanks for the update.
July 19, 2014 09:36AM
We are getting into the dryer season when about the only ones you may run into are in the grassy meadow just before Lower Cathedral Lake and even that may depend on the time of day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login