Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: El Portal Fire 100% Contained

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar El Portal Fire 100% Contained
August 05, 2014 12:41PM
The fire is 100% contained. Crews will continue to mop up, secure, and rehabilitate the El Portal fire line. Demobilization will continue will continue through out the week, which will make fire equipment and crews available for other fires.

Burned Area Emergency Rehabilitation (BAER) team is expected to arrive today to establish a plan for the Stanislaus National Forest and Yosemite National Park. The BAER team’s primary function is to evaluate the burn area for short-term emergency rehabilitation needs. Areas that were damaged in the suppression effort are being repaired to help reduce soil erosion and visual impacts. These efforts include building water-bars, chipping large concentrations of slash from dozer line construction, pulling berms, and obscuring turnouts that were created by large equipment. Excess equipment, supplies, flagging, and garbage are also being removed.
avatar Re: El Portal Fire 100% Contained
August 05, 2014 06:50PM
While reading that explanation of a BAER Team, I couldn't help but to think of what is going on along Evergreen Road, and other places in the Rim Fire area. The loggers are tearing up the soil. Nothing is left but a few dead oaks, a few too small dead pines, and huge slash piles everywhere.
Re: El Portal Fire 100% Contained
August 05, 2014 09:15PM
Man, I am impressed that they got this one under control. When we saw it last week it looked pretty fearsome.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: El Portal Fire 100% Contained
August 06, 2014 10:29AM
I think the previous major fires in the area helped limit its spread.

Still, a very rough terrain to fight the fire. The fire crews did a great job in minimizing its damage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login