Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Different version of trail art

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Different version of trail art
August 07, 2014 09:03AM
I'm in Maine right now and recently came across an article in a local rag regarding an unusual version of unwanted trail art. On the island of Monhegan there are a number of short trails which over the years have become subjected to trail art referred to as "fairy houses" for the local fairies, nomes (sp?), hobbits, or other assorted sentient forest dwellers summer folk wish to fantasize about. Most of them are rather small but are constructed from local branches, bark, moss, and stones and then embellished with a variety of human trash such as bottle caps, candy wrappers, driftwood, and just about anything else you might imagine. Neither the local residents or wildlife officials are the least bit impressed by this form of art because it disrupts the ecosystem where these creations keep popping up, let alone the impact of imported trash. Apparently it's become a way for parents to entertain small children while on so-called nature hikes. "Leave No Trace" is not in their vocabulary. Has anybody ever seen anything like that in CA?
Jim
Re: Different version of trail art
August 07, 2014 01:34PM
the nearest I have seen is the little 'villages' constructed of wood, pine cones etc. usually on lake beaches. the most comprehensive recently was one at the top end of Tenaya, which I thought was a very good example of children~ at least I presume it was children~ using their imagination. the very best one though was at Fallen Leaf lake a couple of years ago, where a young girl had produced a simple but very effective 'palace'. unfortunately when I returned from a drink in the café it was in the process of being destroyed by a similar aged boy, whom, I concluded, was an obnoxious little t***.
'MOM' and 'WE "HEART" CROW' were recent stone examples of the 'art' I have come across in Yosemite.
as for 'leave no trace', does that include NPS workers who regularly build foot high steps using drills etc?
only asking. eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login