Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Curry Village vs Housekeeping Camp - Temp Difference?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Curry Village vs Housekeeping Camp - Temp Difference?
December 03, 2014 03:38PM
I'm tentatively planning a trip the first week in May. I know it's still cold at night then. I've stayed in the Curry Village unheated tent cabins the first week in October and know how cold those are. What I'm wondering is if Housekeeping is about "as cold" as Curry Village or if it is any warmer due to not being quite as close to the granite walls of Curry. I'm guessing there's probably little to no difference but thought I would ask those who may have first hand experience.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
avatar Re: Curry Village vs Housekeeping Camp - Temp Difference?
December 03, 2014 05:41PM
I wouldn't expect much difference.
December 03, 2014 11:02PM
eeek

That was kind of my guess but I was hoping it would be a little warmer. I'm kind of curious about Housekeeping and would like to try staying there at least once.
December 03, 2014 11:09PM
People either love Housekeeping or hate it. I have friends who swear by it because they like having a semi camping experience where you have a fire and can cook which you can't do at Curry but still have the beds and the electricity. Other friends hate it because you can't close off the canvas completely and it can be cold and damp. I have never stayed at Housekeeping so I can't give a personal account.
December 03, 2014 11:59PM
parklover
People either love Housekeeping or hate it. I have friends who swear by it because they like having a semi camping experience where you have a fire and can cook which you can't do at Curry but still have the beds and the electricity. Other friends hate it because you can't close off the canvas completely and it can be cold and damp. I have never stayed at Housekeeping so I can't give a personal account.

I'm not overly fussy where I stay when I travel. I don't travel places to sit in my room all day. Safety and convenience are my main concerns. I can't see Housekeeping being any colder than Curry. Curry gets pretty darn cold other than summer. I thought Housekeeping might be nice to try because of the outlets which let you bring a space heater and presumably a microwave (to be stored in the bear locker). My trips to the park are not designed around food but I obviously have to eat. Just being able to warm up something in the evening would be a huge step up from always eating cold food out of a cooler. I have no interest in cooking over a fire when I can nuke something in 5 minutes.
December 04, 2014 08:32AM
If you want to use a microwave to cook then Housekeeping would be a good choice over Curry. Although, I personally would not want to lug a microwave to the park. One of my friends who has stayed at both the tent cabins in Curry and Housekeeping did say that they preferred Curry over Housekeeping because it has a door that can lock versus just the canvas pull curtains at Housekeeping. I think it all depends on the person because there are people I know that wouldn't stay in a Curry tent cabin. In my mind one of the big advantages of Housekeeping is that you can cook there and you can't at the tent cabins and there are more outlets. As for being cold, my son went with a school group at the beginning of June this year and stayed in a Curry tent cabin and it was in the high 90's and they baked in the tent cabins because there was not a lot of air circulation in the tents. I say, try Housekeeping and see how you like it. I have stayed at most of the types of lodging in Yosemite Valley starting with the Ahwahnee at one end of the spectrum to camping at the other, with the exception of Housekeeping and the tent cabins, and all have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I really miss the cabins without bath that were behind the Yosemite Lodge.
December 04, 2014 09:53AM
parklover
If you want to use a microwave to cook then Housekeeping would be a good choice over Curry. Although, I personally would not want to lug a microwave to the park. One of my friends who has stayed at both the tent cabins in Curry and Housekeeping did say that they preferred Curry over Housekeeping because it has a door that can lock versus just the canvas pull curtains at Housekeeping. I think it all depends on the person because there are people I know that wouldn't stay in a Curry tent cabin. In my mind one of the big advantages of Housekeeping is that you can cook there and you can't at the tent cabins and there are more outlets. As for being cold, my son went with a school group at the beginning of June this year and stayed in a Curry tent cabin and it was in the high 90's and they baked in the tent cabins because there was not a lot of air circulation in the tents. I say, try Housekeeping and see how you like it. I have stayed at most of the types of lodging in Yosemite Valley starting with the Ahwahnee at one end of the spectrum to camping at the other, with the exception of Housekeeping and the tent cabins, and all have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I really miss the cabins without bath that were behind the Yosemite Lodge.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a small, travel microwave that isn't really too bad to take with. I know what you mean about some people being quite picky about where they stay. I'm more about needing a place to sleep. Pure camping would be fun but I'm getting too old to want to deal with all of that as well as the inconvenience of what is required to cook/eat. The only real disadvantage to both places is the lack of your own bathroom. It's impossible to get up and get get going early when you have to walk back and forth between the showers and your "room" and then figure out how to have a quick breakfast. I'm not much of a morning person so this is a problem even under the best of circumstances. :-)

On a visit in November I had lunch at the Ahwahnee. That's about as close to being a patron as I'm going to get. :-)
December 04, 2014 10:18AM
Ok . . . .from a 21 season volunteer who tent camped all 21 seasons, the answer to either tent cabins or housekeeping night visits to the john, is a 2 qt bottle which you empty in the morning. Saves all that wandering around and dodging bears, other campers and who knows what else in the dark of the night.
December 04, 2014 02:54PM
JohnC
eeek

That was kind of my guess but I was hoping it would be a little warmer. I'm kind of curious about Housekeeping and would like to try staying there at least once.

Housekeeping will be just A LITTLE BIT warmer than Curry, but not by much. At most, it would be about 5º F warmer. To stay warm at Housekeeping in early May, just take along a 30ºF rated sleeping bag, (or a nice down quilt) and along with the bedding you can rent at Housekeeping, you should be fine. Also remember that it often rains in Yosemite in early May (even light snow flurries are possible), so be sure to bring along your rain gear if there's a chance of rain in the forecast.

December 04, 2014 03:07PM
plawrence
JohnC
eeek

Housekeeping will be just A LITTLE BIT warmer than Curry, but not by much. At most, it would be about 5º F warmer. To stay warm at Housekeeping in early May, just take along a 30ºF rated sleeping bag, (or a nice down quilt) and along with the bedding you can rent at Housekeeping, you should be fine. Also remember that it often rains in Yosemite in early May (even light snow flurries are possible), so be sure to bring along your rain gear if there's a chance of rain in the forecast.

Oddly enough, I've taken a sleeping bag to Curry twice in Oct and never used it. Although, I do steal bedding from a second bed in the tent. My bigger temp gripe would be the middle of the night bathroom runs and the morning shower walk. Maybe I'm just getting old. :-)
December 05, 2014 09:02AM
I was at Housekeeping for my first and only time in October and it was fine, didn't need anything beyond the $2.50 bedding pack. Thing is, both early May and early-to-mid October can be pretty variable, plenty of nice days but storms can't be ruled out.

I can't directly compare Curry and Housekeeping temps in May. In October I'd agree w/ plawrence that they'd be similar w/ Housekeeping maybe a few degrees warmer (from being a little farther from the south wall of the valley), but the sun angle is much higher in May.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login