Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (78% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Valley Uprising on tonight at 8pm, Discovery Channel

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Valley Uprising on tonight at 8pm, Discovery Channel
April 25, 2015 05:22PM
Interesting history of climbing in Yosemite. I'm watching now on the east coast.
April 25, 2015 07:20PM
I was glued to the TV.

Are these guys tremendous athletes with guts of steel, or do
they have a death wish?

The one guy talked about dropping acid on the wall.....
April 26, 2015 12:30AM
I recorded it, but hiking on a rock for a day or two is not my thing. I have no idea how they sleep with the wind pushing them around at night, waking up because you have to go to the bathroom, looking down, then realizing you are a few thousand feet up.
April 26, 2015 06:21AM
I'd seen some advance promo for this several weeks ago and then completely forgot about it. Discovery will probably rerun this several times, though (although I don't see anything listed on their schedule page just now). In the meantime, there's a trailer and several short clips here.

The trailer turned me off a bit...seemed a little bit too focussed on the rebel and crazy aspects of big wall climbing...not sure how indicative that is of the whole program. I'm not a climber myself but it does fascinate me. I don't doubt that the rebellion & craziness are part of the culture but if you watch something like Vertical Frontier (which they often show as the evening movie in the Lodge Amphitheater but which is also worth owning on DVD), it stresses more the sense of dedication and discipline. As I say, I missed Valley Uprising last night so I'm not sure how much it gets into that aspect.

If anybody notices this being rebroadcast, please post info here.
April 26, 2015 10:04AM
Watched it last night. Sure, it talks about the rebellion & craziness that went on, but I took it as more of the evolution of climbing techniques in the big wall climbing arena. Really enjoyed it! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 10:05AM by ERICG.
April 26, 2015 05:51PM
I thought it was a really great show. My only criticism is that when taking about climbing the Nose for the first time that while Warren Harding was the mastermind, it would have been nice if they would have given more air time to Feuerer, Powell, Merry and Whitmore. It barely registered in my mind that George Whitmore was talking and I missed all but seeing his name flash on the screen. To this day, George continues to spend a lot of time trying to protect Yosemite and a little mention of that would have been nice.
April 29, 2015 02:03PM
I don't have cable. Anybody know where I can watch it online?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login