Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Verizon Wireless Balloon Test

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Verizon Wireless Balloon Test
April 29, 2015 01:38PM
On Wednesday April 29th from 10 am till 2 pm Verizon Wireless will be conducting a balloon test at the existing cell site in Yosemite Village. The existing cell site is located behind the electrical substation in the NPS maintenance yard in Yosemite Village. The purpose of the balloon test is to help the park assess the visual impact from a proposed taller monopole at that site. An orange balloon will be flown at the 100' height by a crane to simulate the height of the proposed tower. The roadway behind the electrical substation will be temporarily closed during the test to allow for the use of the crane.
Re: Verizon Wireless Balloon Test
April 29, 2015 01:48PM
They are trying to catch up to AT&T's coverage in the valley.
April 29, 2015 05:44PM
Does AT&T truly have better coverage, or are there simply more Verizon users using bandwidth which reduces coverage quality? I really don't know anything about this stuff--but in March, when not many people were in the park I had perfect service all the way to the top of Clouds Rest. Then in March, on a weekend where temperatures averaged 80 and the valley was pretty busy, I didn't have any service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 05:44PM by Torero14.
April 30, 2015 11:34AM
Torero14
Does AT&T truly have better coverage, or are there simply more Verizon users using bandwidth which reduces coverage quality? I really don't know anything about this stuff--but in March, when not many people were in the park I had perfect service all the way to the top of Clouds Rest. Then in March, on a weekend where temperatures averaged 80 and the valley was pretty busy, I didn't have any service.
I really don't know, but I have gotten 4g on AT&T in Camp 4 and other areas of the valley.
April 30, 2015 12:02PM
Same here. Reliable, fast AT&T 4G at Degnan's, Village store parking lot, even Sentinel meadow parking.
April 30, 2015 06:55AM
Until recently, the valley was covered by Golden State Wireless, a regional CDMA provider that Verizon users would roam onto. A few months ago I noticed that the coverage in and around Yosemite had changed from "Extended" to "Verizon", and former 3G areas are now indicating LTE coverage--so maybe now Verizon is investing in upgrading coverage in the area.
April 30, 2015 01:27PM
basilbop
Until recently, the valley was covered by Golden State Wireless, a regional CDMA provider that Verizon users would roam onto. A few months ago I noticed that the coverage in and around Yosemite had changed from "Extended" to "Verizon", and former 3G areas are now indicating LTE coverage--so maybe now Verizon is investing in upgrading coverage in the area.

Verizon bought Golden State Wireless last year. Seems like the transition from Golden State to Verizon is complete now and they are looking to upgrade/expand their service.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/verizon-wireless-completes-purchase-of-golden-state-cellular-in-east-central-california-2014-06-02
May 01, 2015 03:44PM
If this balloon test is only about visual impact, then there ought to be some discussion about cell towers disguised as trees, etc. Of course, there are some "tree-like" cell towers that are ridiculous fakes, but some are so good that you probably haven't noticed them as you drive by.

At the very least, they could paint the tower some drab color, not silvery metal.

There is already plenty of ugliness at the NPS maintenance facility. A proposed cell tower should be judged partly by whether it would make that any worse. For example, if you look closely at that area from the Yosemite Falls Trail, the maintenance center is a mess, but most people's eyes just slide past it.

Take a look some time at the ugly antenna farms at Turtle Dome and behind Glacier Point. People don't complain about them because they don't look in that direction.

I am no fan of ugly facilities in the valley. But think about the visual context before knee-jerk opinions that nothing ugly should ever be permitted, or on the other hand, the visual cost to everyone else of satisfying your craving for more bandwidth...
avatar Re: Verizon Wireless Balloon Test
May 01, 2015 05:44PM
wherever
Of course, there are some "tree-like" cell towers that are ridiculous fakes

I really laugh at one that's in the middle of a big DWP sub-station. A fake tree is just what a bunch of wires, transformers and towers needed. Rolling on floor laugh
May 02, 2015 09:11PM
It's funny, one of those fake trees between Midpines and Mariposa died.
April 29, 2015 05:16PM
eeek
. . . snip . . . The existing cell site is located behind the electrical substation in the NPS maintenance yard in Yosemite Village. . . . snip . . .

So that's where it is, I always thought it was at either Sentinel or Turtleback Dome.
Is the AT&T cell site at the same location? Who else has cell sites in the area?
ADVthaAnksNCE
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login