Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Valley last week-Just curious for the sake of learning

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Valley last week
May 17, 2015 10:01AM

Well, we didn't chance the reopening of Tioga Road on our trip to the valley, so logged 920 miles round trip on our travels to and fro, instead of the 250 mile RT when the pass is open. We considered cancelling our first night in hopes that the pass would open on Sunday (which it did,) but just left as scheduled. Then the pass closed again and we left early to go the long way back home. It was snowing at Chinquapin when we drove out 41. If we had waited, the pass did open Saturday, but after the previous storm, we didn't chance it. After all, they hoisted a Winter Storm Warning for this storm, and the advisory the week before gave us snow at our house!

Anyway, the storms temporarily added a bit more water to the falls. This pic is on May 10 2015 and three highlines were stretched across the top of Yosemite Falls. I did get a telephoto of three guys on the lines at the same time.
Re: Yosemite Valley last week
May 17, 2015 05:11PM

This is the only pic that I had with all three highliners are on their feet. They fell a lot. The middle guy is behind a tree...
avatar Re: Yosemite Valley last week
May 17, 2015 10:38PM
Thanks for taking the time to upload the photo. I know it's usually a slow process for you, since you're usually limited to dial-up speeds.

Very nice photo.
May 17, 2015 11:23PM
Is the highlining OK with 'Leave No Trace'?
It is awesome that they are doing feats like that, but it seems that they are taking away from the natural beauty.

I guess along that line of questions:
Do these people get arrested once they get back to a ledge?

More questions:
When people are climbing El Cap, Half Dome, etc.:
Do they have to get backcountry (or similar) permits?
Do their route(s) have to be approved by the rangers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 01:21AM by snorkus.
avatar Re: Yosemite Valley last week-Just curious for the sake of learning
May 18, 2015 05:08AM
snorkus
Is the highlining OK with 'Leave No Trace'?

As long if they leave no trace after they done with their highlining activity I think it's compatible with the LNT ethos.

I guess along that line of questions:
Do these people get arrested once they get back to a ledge?

Unlike BASE jumping, I don't think highlining is an illegal activity in Yosemite.

More questions:

If you're referring to rock climbers, the answer is no and no.

(There are only certain routes and areas during spring (when the perigean falcons are nesting) that are restricted by the Park Service.)
avatar Re: Yosemite Valley last week-Just curious for the sake of learning
May 18, 2015 07:32PM
snorkus
More questions:

Going up the cable route requires a permit. However, a permit isn't required for any kind of big wall or technical climbing, and climbers are even allowed to sleep in the backcountry (without a permit) on the night they finish a climb before heading back. There's no registration and no quotas per se like backpacking.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/climbing.htm

At the current time, wilderness permits are not required for nights spent on a wall. It is illegal to camp at the base of any wall in Yosemite Valley. If you must bivouac on the summit, you are required to follow all regulations.
May 18, 2015 10:09PM
Thanks for the responses.
By the way, I didn't intend to hijack this thread. The pictures were awesome. I was just wondering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 10:09PM by snorkus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login