Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Campground Opening

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne Campground Opening
May 29, 2015 01:39PM
Tuolumne Meadows campground will open for the season on Saturday, May 30. Tuolumne Meadows is a half reservation, half first-come, first served campground. Advanced reservations may be made at any campground office, online at http://www.recreation.gov or by calling 877 444-6777.
avatar Re: Tuolumne Campground Opening
May 30, 2015 08:40AM
I gotta figure out how to get up there from the Bay Area and snag a spot on a Friday.
May 30, 2015 05:04PM
Paris92
I gotta figure out how to get up there from the Bay Area

John Muir would just walk.
June 02, 2015 08:21PM
In Google maps, if you click on the hiker icon in the toolbar, it should take about 69 hrs to cover the 201 miles from S.F. to Tuolumne Meadows.
May 31, 2015 12:53AM
eeek
Tuolumne Meadows campground will open for the season on Saturday, May 30. Tuolumne Meadows is a half reservation, half first-come, first served campground. Advanced reservations may be made at any campground office, online at http://www.recreation.gov or by calling 877 444-6777.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't on this site for the last few days, so missed out on the spots for July 4th and still snagged a group site for July 3rd. Thanks a lot for the heads up and posting the info heresmiling smiley
June 02, 2015 08:11PM
Can someone tell me, does a senior pass get you a discount on any camping sites? I can't find any reference on the park website.

Thank you.
June 03, 2015 02:28AM
I don't know about the Senior pass, but the regular Adventure pass saved me 50% on my Tuolumne Campground reservation for late July.
June 04, 2015 02:11AM
snorkus
I don't know about the Senior pass, but the regular Adventure pass saved me 50% on my Tuolumne Campground reservation for late July.

I think you're mistaken. The "Adventure" pass is a pass used by National Forests and is not valid in National Parks.

I think you're confusing an "Adventure" pass with an "Access" Pass which does offer a 50% discount for camping inside Yosemite. The "Access Pass" is available for U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities.

Those using the standard "America the Beautiful" interagency pass get NO DISCOUNTS for camping. Only those with an Access Pass or Senior Pass (or the older, but no longer available, Golden Access Passport or Golden Age Passport) get a 50% discount on camping:

Here's what it states on Recreation.Gov for reserving campsites in Yosemite:

June 07, 2015 05:51AM
Oops, Sorry. Wrong pass mentioned. But I did save 50%.
June 03, 2015 07:17AM
Yes, JohnC. Your Senior Pass will save you 50% on campsites in addition to the free entrance.
See this: http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 07:21AM by troutwild.
June 03, 2015 11:04AM
troutwild
Yes, JohnC. Your Senior Pass will save you 50% on campsites in addition to the free entrance.
See this: http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

Thanks. But, the fine print there says "in general" the discount applies to campsites. No mention of any specific parks that do or don't discount. Have you actually used it there?

Thanks also to snorkus.
June 03, 2015 02:13PM
JohnC.... I have used my Senior Pass not only in all "reservable" NPS campgrounds in Yosemite (including Tuolumne Meadows) but all across the western states, including entrance fees. If in doubt, I'd call ahead.
June 03, 2015 02:20PM
troutwild
JohnC.... I have used my Senior Pass not only in all "reservable" NPS campgrounds in Yosemite (including Tuolumne Meadows) but all across the western states, including entrance fees. If in doubt, I'd call ahead.

I believe you since you say you did get the discount. The web page just doesn't make that clear. Thanks for the confirmation. smiling smiley
June 03, 2015 01:51PM
yes, I have used Senior Pass to get 50% off campsites at Tuolumne, both via online reservations and in person as a walk-up.
June 04, 2015 10:30PM
it's probably only me, but i've been up there a few times (during the day and evening), and have wondered who in their right mind would want to camp there? every time i've been there, the mosquitos are ridiculous.
June 04, 2015 10:38PM
forrestranger
it's probably only me, but i've been up there a few times (during the day and evening), and have wondered who in their right mind would want to camp there? every time i've been there, the mosquitos are ridiculous.

To avoid the worse of the mosquitos at the Tuolumne Meadows campground, avoid camping there from mid-June through mid-August. Tuolumne Meadows (not just the campground) is usually swarming with mosquitos during all the month of July.
June 07, 2015 02:59PM
The Senior pass (and maybe some of the other passes) gets you 50% off in most National Forest campgrounds too. I've used it in many USFS campgrounds in the Eastern Sierras. The Senior pass is $10 and is a lifetime pass! Such a deal! I think you have to be 62 to qualify.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2015 02:59PM by mtn man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login