Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: September 9 Fire Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 09, 2015 10:26AM
New Fire: Tenaya (37 46.091 x 119 34.641 – Mariposa Co., 7200’ El. 8/7) This wildfire began on the afternoon of September 7, 2015, and is being suppressed. The fire is very visible from all locations within the park. The fire is estimated to have burned 300 acres. Yosemite fire crews are being augmented by 4 hand crews, 5 air tankers, including the VLAT – Very Large Air Tanker, multiple helicopters and fire management overhead. Additional resources have been ordered. The fire is located along both sides of the Lehamite Creek Trail from the north rim of the Valley to the Tioga Road. There are no threats to structures and no injuries have occurred. There is no estimated containment and the cause is being investigated.

Smoke will be visible in the Valley and areas along the Tioga Road.

All trail systems on the north rim of the Yosemite Valley south of the Tioga Road and east of Yosemite Creek are closed.
avatar Re: September 9 Fire Update
September 09, 2015 12:12PM

Tenaya (37 46.091 x 119 34.641 – Mariposa Co., 7200’ El. 8/7) This wildfire began on the afternoon of September 7, 2015

September 7...clear weather. Idiot-caused, I assume.
September 09, 2015 08:42PM
Does this mean the trails from the Sunrise trailhead (to Clouds Rest) on Tioga Road are closed?
Re: September 9 Fire Update
September 09, 2015 10:14PM
September 10, 2015 11:01AM
Paris92
Does this mean the trails from the Sunrise trailhead (to Clouds Rest) on Tioga Road are closed?

I don't think so since that trail does not go to the north rim.
September 10, 2015 02:39PM
Paris92

Herer is a link to the closed trail map: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/tenayfireclosuremap.pdf

Old Dude
September 10, 2015 08:37PM
Thanks so much! Where can I typically find this type of map, since closed trails due to fire are becoming a regular thing sadly...
September 11, 2015 11:17AM
Paris92
Thanks so much! Where can I typically find this type of map, since closed trails due to fire are becoming a regular thing sadly...

NPS website from the list below, Plan Your Visit, What to Do, Backpacking, Trail Condition, Trail Closures. Something like that.

Old Dude
September 10, 2015 08:42PM
I canceled my tent reservations at Tuolumne Lodge. I'll watch the fire for another week to see what happens, and if it clears grab an opening, if any. Last thing I want to do is have to evacuate (again); or get to the top of Clouds Rest and not being able to see much...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login