Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Otters sighted

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 14, 2016 11:54AM
Otters are being reported along the Merced River corridor from Incline near El Portal to Yosemite Valley. The park does not have a lot of information on otters in Yosemite, so if you happen to see an otter or see otter tracks please try and take a picture, note the date and time and submit to Rob Grasso ([email protected]) or call 379-143.
Re: Otters sighted
January 14, 2016 01:25PM
So, last Thanksgiving we saw a tree that looked like a beaver had gone to work on it. This was maybe 1/2 mile downriver from the Lodge area on the north side valley loop trail. Would an otter have done this? We did some googling and it seems that beaver are known to exist in the Yosemite Valley area from time to time.

January 14, 2016 01:45PM
I would say that is a beaver, I don't think otters have the teeth structure to chew wood in that way. They have more dog-like teeth. Pretty awesome either way, I would love to see both!
January 14, 2016 01:53PM
Aint no otter got time for that.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 14, 2016 01:58PM
Best can do is this...

Seen them in Eleanor, Peninsula, and little lake near Twin, Fawn, and Huckleberry Lakes in Northern Yosemite.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 14, 2016 08:32PM
basilbop
Would an otter have done this?

No. Otters are carnivores (they eat crayfish, fish, frogs, and shellfish). They don't have the right kind of teeth for gnawing down a tree, and wouldn't have much use for the tree anyway.

Beavers are rodents and gnaw for a living. That gnawed tree looks like classic beaver work.
January 15, 2016 01:52AM
basilbop
We did some googling and it seems that beaver are known to exist in the Yosemite Valley area from time to time.

Last spring or summer I noticed a beaver-downed tree at Mirror Lake. I couldn't tell how long it had been down -- maybe since 2013:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Busy-Beaver-at-Mirror-Lake.htm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login