Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Horsetail 2016

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Horsetail 2016
February 03, 2016 02:44PM
Who's going this year? Is it flowing at all?
February 03, 2016 03:40PM
Given the snow we have had to date and upcoming warm weather this weekend/early next week, the odds are good--although fog in the Central Valley could of course impact the sunset itself.
February 03, 2016 04:14PM
If conditions look good I'll be heading up maybe for a day trip.
February 03, 2016 04:31PM
Found a website. I think it's the one that gets updated every year.

Horsetail
February 11, 2016 11:52PM
I took these two photos of Horsetail Fall on Tuesday (02-11-16). The first one in the afternoon from the the main El Capitan viewpoint on Southside Drive (that's just east of Wawona Road junction with Southside Drive) and the second one at sunset from the El Capitan Picnic Area parking lot.

February 12, 2016 09:03AM
Fantastic. I've been there a couple times in recent years, but have never seen water flowing. Especially not like that. Thanks for sharing your photos! How was the traffic?

According to the website, it hasn't reached the better days yet in terms of length of time and angle. But if it's flowing, might be worth the trip this weekend. Though it will be busy as hell with the 3-day weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 09:03AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
February 12, 2016 09:15AM
The weekend will be crazy. In years past the park service closes half the road to allow for extra parking.
February 16, 2016 01:00PM
Were you there this past weekend? Conditions seemed to have been clear, with the heat melting the snow on El Cap. Fresh snow is coming in middle of this week, but the clouds will affect things for next weekend.
February 21, 2016 09:37PM
Friday was not great. Saturday was amazing. There were literally thousands of photographers in the park both afternoons and evenings we were there. Extremely difficult to get food anywhere in the park on Saturday night too. It was like mid-summer it was so crowded.
February 22, 2016 07:56AM
Oh no...missed Saturday night. Braved the crowds on Friday night and couldn't bear the much worse traffic on Saturday. People were watching from places that didn't even illustrate the phenomenon...saw photos from folks who said, yeah we saw it and showed me pics taken from El Cap meadows or Tunnel View. What a zoo!

But we did get pizza at Curry early and it was one of the best I've ever had there. No one in their right mind would wait in that line for pizza later...over 100 people!

I think we'll have to give this even a break for a few years. Besides, I doubt if we'll get our room discounts with Aramark.
February 24, 2016 06:04PM

This was on the other end of the valley when there must've been nice color at Horsetail Falls (20 Feb 2016)
February 25, 2016 09:25AM
October 18, 2016 01:28PM
Yes, it's that time of year again. And with the recent snow and rain, it's flowing!

Leave No Trace
October 19, 2016 09:30AM
plawrence
Yes, it's that time of year again. And with the recent snow and rain, it's flowing!

October photos of it are rare! Have you been there to see the glow?
October 19, 2016 01:31PM
hotrod4x5
plawrence

October photos of it are rare! Have you been there to see the glow?

No I haven't been there in person in October several years now. October has become a busy month for me and it's hard to get away to Yosemite for a visit.

But a friend of mine works for Aramark and she captured a nice photo of it on Monday with a nice golden glow on the falling water. She posted the photo on her Facebook page. If she decides to post it on her public website, I'll post a link to it here.

Leave No Trace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login