Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Open Table Dinner Reservation; Ahwahnee vs Majestic

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Open Table Dinner Reservation; Ahwahnee vs Majestic
March 02, 2016 04:39PM
Just an FYI, I made a dinner reservation at the Ahwahnee for my birthday in May before 'the dispute' ever came about. I just went into the Open Table confirmation site (just to be safe) and see that I do still have a reservation, but the name has now changed to The Majestic.

Steve
March 02, 2016 05:43PM
Happy Early Birthday. I am so glad that you still have your reservation. On my last "Big Birthday" we sat at the Queen's table in the alcove which was really nice. I wonder what kind of china you will be served on since DNC owns the Ahwahnee china pattern.
avatar Re: Open Table Dinner Reservation; Ahwahnee vs Majestic
March 02, 2016 06:17PM
parklover
I wonder what kind of china you will be served on since DNC owns the Ahwahnee china pattern.

Grinning Devil

Yep, if they were selling used Ahwahnee china in the gift shop before the transfer (and I've never seen used china for sale in there in all my years visiting, just new), I'm guessing there will be none to be seen in the restaurant (or gift shop), at least until this whole mess is sorted out.
March 02, 2016 06:33PM
LOL, perfect!

I don't remember the first time I ate at the Ahwahnee (prob. '62-'63), but my wife and I ate there together the first time on our honeymoon in 1969...and have many times since.

I could think of nowhere I wold rather be than in Yosemite (camping! OK, in our 5th wheel now), and at the Ahwahnee for dinner for my 70th!

Steve
March 04, 2016 08:27PM
parklover
Happy Early Birthday. I am so glad that you still have your reservation. On my last "Big Birthday" we sat at the Queen's table in the alcove which was really nice. I wonder what kind of china you will be served on since DNC owns the Ahwahnee china pattern.

Are you sure that DNC owns the copyright to the Ahwahnee china pattern? I would think it's the china manufacturer that owns the copyright to that distinctive pattern.

March 05, 2016 08:08AM
plawrence
parklover

Are you sure that DNC owns the copyright to the Ahwahnee china pattern? I would think it's the china manufacturer that owns the copyright to that distinctive pattern.

In one of the many news articles I have read recently there was a comment that when Sterling, the company that made the china, went out of business, DNC took over the pattern and had it produced somewhere else. Since I had planned on buying some more of the china this year, the other day I went on several sites that I used to buy hard to find china and all said that the pattern had been discontinued since Sterling is no longer in business. It has also been noted in articles that during the transition Monday/Tuesday that the china was removed from the dining room and the gift shop and that some people were able to buy some. The pattern of the plates is the Ahwahnee symbol and every thing with the symbol on was removed from the hotel. There is high probability that the limited edition Pendleton blankets they had sold that have the Ahwahnee symbol on it and the name of the Ahwahnee is not available anymore but I already have two different ones. Also if you read the link for the petition the park service filed with the USPTO you will see this:

All goods and services in the class are cancelled, namely: [ Watches ]
Class 021. First Use: 2002/10/29 First Use In Commerce: 2002/10/29
All goods and services in the class are cancelled, namely: non-electric iron candelabras; dishes;
namely cups, plates, and bowls
Class 024. First Use: 2002/10/29 First Use In Commerce: 2002/10/29
All goods and services in the class are cancelled, namely: blanket throws
Class 025. First Use: 2002/10/29 First Use In Commerce: 2002/10/29
All goods and services in the class are cancelled, namely: hats,golf shirts, denim shirts

Therefore, this all leads me to believe that as of right now, you can't buy the china. The only way to be sure is for someone to go look when they are in Yosemite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 08:15AM by parklover.
August 02, 2016 12:18PM
I have multiple pieces of the Ahwahnee china, but no longer have the storage space to keep them. If you, or anyone you know, would like to acquire this set, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Thank you!
August 13, 2016 08:05PM
()

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 08:08PM by bc57.
November 28, 2016 09:18PM
Hi there, I came across your post and wanted to check and see if you still have too many dishes to store (Ahwahanee pattern) I may be interested. Need bowls, small and large plates. My email is beth@walshsells.com

Warm regards,

Beth Walsh
November 29, 2016 07:15PM
I'm sorry, all items have been sold.
March 05, 2016 08:17AM
I would like to see new china with a pattern designed by Julia Parker
March 05, 2016 08:28AM
hikerchick395
I would like to see new china with a pattern designed by Julia Parker
That would be nice even if the original pattern is still available since the gift shop has sold several china patterns. We have a cereal bowl, small plate and cup with the trout pattern that they have been selling the past several years.
March 05, 2016 10:01AM
I'd like to see the food there improve. Maybe bring it up to 4 star standards. A 5 would be too hopeful.
March 05, 2016 10:52AM
Dave
I'd like to see the food there improve. Maybe bring it up to 4 star standards. A 5 would be too hopeful.

Last year we went to the Ahwahnee Sunday brunch for the first time and it was horrible. My son is a picky eater and I called to make sure that the pancake station was opened when we had our reservation. I was told yes it was and when we got there they already closed it. He didn't want anything on the buffet so I asked if he could order pancakes off the regular menu and they said OK. When we got the bill they didn't charge us just for pancakes but for the full adult buffet charge and wouldn't change it. Not going to do the buffet again unless I see improvements with Aramark. I really didn't like the chef they have had at the Ahwahnee the past several years, things were too "saucy" for me. I did have a great 60th birthday dinner almost three years ago but I did have prime rib and they always have a good one. I have always thought that under DNC the Ahwahnee didn't come up to the standards of other hotels and restaurants that had four stars and that they got the stars for other areas of the rating. We only stayed at the Ahwahnee for special occasions because of the expense and our last stays were disasters and not up to the standards of a three star much less a four star establishment. Some of the things that happened on our last stay could be considered health code violations and I never got a answer back from the letter I wrote. Over all the food quality in the park has gone down over the years. The chef at the Mountain Room is known for his attitude and outburst and stopped serving french fries and prime rib because he thought it was beneath him. (Heard this from a waiter that we have know for years) The last time we ate there he had a temper tantrum . in the kitchen over something and it took an hour to get our food. I also notice that past several times we got sandwiches at Degnan's they were smaller. I remember the good old days when the food at Curry was good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login