Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Oh, my!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 28, 2016 01:59AM
March 28, 2016 03:23AM
Applause.
March 29, 2016 12:18PM
o My! It was Pounding head on desk BUSY Saturday in the valley!
Wow!

Quite the difference come Monday tho... back to nice and peacefully quiet...

smiling smiley

So anyone out there also in z park den?

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 29, 2016 06:29PM
chick-on

mrcondron, Basilbop and I were out Fri-Sat. But in more quiet and peaceful area, it seems...
March 29, 2016 09:17PM
We always find peace

smiling smiley

March 30, 2016 10:00AM
Wow that's a different view of Grizzly Peak and Sierra Point!

Oh, and also Half a Dome (am I allowed to still call it that?)
March 30, 2016 01:20PM
And Vernal Fall too.

Leave No Trace
March 30, 2016 10:39AM
Whoa, that's a new view. Aren't you all supposed to be staying on the trails until you've walked them all? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 10:41AM by abetterpitchfork.
March 30, 2016 01:24PM
abetterpitchfork

Whoa, that's a new view. Aren't you all supposed to be staying on the trails until you've walked them all? smiling smiley

The pink one has already walked all the trails in the park, IIRC. It's the parrot and his bride that are on the trail quest.

Leave No Trace
March 30, 2016 03:50PM
Not exactly...

I have a bit of four mile "road" to walk... and a couple of winter trail snippets...

Saving Wawona Meadow Eastern loop portion so we can all finish together...
although there is a lot of grumblings about judge (Chick-on is looking at you!), jurry (Chick-on is looking at you!), and
executionur (Chick-on is looking at you!) w/r to trail quest rulings...

Old Dood (according to his rules) has finished the TQ a long time ago...
(he just uses his trusty eraser to remove from his map)

tongue sticking out smiley

March 30, 2016 09:50PM
chick-on
Not exactly...

I have a bit of four mile "road" to walk... and a couple of winter trail snippets...

Saving Wawona Meadow Eastern loop portion so we can all finish together...
although there is a lot of grumblings about judge (Chick-on is looking at you!), jurry (Chick-on is looking at you!), and
executionur (Chick-on is looking at you!) w/r to trail quest rulings...

Old Dood (according to his rules) has finished the TQ a long time ago...
(he just uses his trusty eraser to remove from his map)

Not prezackly, I still have the Clouds Rest stock bypass, a bit by Yosemite West, and the mystery trail bit by Wawona. The loop around the golf course will be done en masse.

Old Dude
March 31, 2016 07:12AM
mrcondron
Not prezackly, I still have the Clouds Rest stock bypass, a bit by Yosemite West, and the mystery trail bit by Wawona. The loop around the golf course will be done en masse.

HONK!

Wrong.

You also have:
- Other loopy east of Wawona Meadow loop
- Lukens Lake (if they moved the trail ... you can move your butte and hike it) (from 120)
- Yosemite Creek Campground (from 120) (you bypassed this with me when Yose Creek was roaring)
- Bits o Trail by Tenaya Lake (you were too lazy to do this when we where there 300 times)
- Old Tioga Road (it's a trail... signed both sides) (from Mono Pass TH to 120... then on to TM)
- Pohono Trail (from Sentinel Creek to Taft Pt Jct) (you bypassed this one year when ur lungs hurty)
- Elevenmile Road (yes, you have to do this) (along with Elevenmile Meadow) (just listen to me)
- Swinging Bridge loop portion (from Bridge WNW ish to Chilnualna Rd) (the east portion of the loop)
- Henness Ridge Lookout
- Carlon Falls (sorry... but it's IN the park)

I won't make you do 4mile rd... but it's one rd in the park you can bike... so... sheesh

Let's see... I won't make you do Old GP Road from 41 thru Bridalveil to New GP Road... but you should

So, anywho... you are not even close to being done.
Get on it

O.. and if you want to be complete... you have to do the snippet east of Raymound Mountain
Hmm... and looking at USGS ... I needz a bit o trail by Chiquito Lake.. o well... will be going there
this year anyway... will hit it then...

Get on it Old Guy!

March 31, 2016 07:44AM
chick-on
Hmm... and looking at USGS ... I needz a bit o trail by Chiquito Lake.. o well... will be going there
this year anyway... will hit it then...

It all starts out so simple-sounding... Chick-on says get a recent park map and start marking off trails you've already done. Then finish the rest..

But somehow... Which park map? Poopenaut is on older ones, but not Bald Mountain. Bald Mountain is on new map, not old. Guess what, both required!

Then Chick-on "clarifies" and says if there is a sign on the trail, gotta do.

And this winter, he added all the Winter Cross-Country trails!

But then.. Somehow it all morphs into anything on the USGS maps, and when I say maps... These guys have older versions! And that includes trails, old roads, old railbeds, squiggles, you name it.

And somehow.. Slippery slope (as it literally sometimes is), and now I apparently have signed up for USGS Trail Quest.

And what's remaining is hard to quantify.. I have about 225 trail miles left per Tom Harrison trail mileages.. But his map doesn't have everything either. I'm hoping im somewhere around 300-350 miles left. But that doesn't include hiking to get to some of those trail segments! Good thing I like walking!

I am finding it easiest to just say "ok" when told I have to do some bit or other... And frankly, it's fun! And I'm really getting to know areas I've ignored...

So.. Thanks to Old Dude, Chick-on and Basilbop for supporting me on my quest!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 07:48AM by JustKeepWalking.
March 31, 2016 02:00PM
JustKeepWalking

It all starts out so simple-sounding... Chick-on says get a recent park map and start marking off trails you've already done. Then finish the rest..

But somehow... Which park map? Poopenaut is on older ones, but not Bald Mountain. Bald Mountain is on new map, not old. Guess what, both required!

Then Chick-on "clarifies" and says if there is a sign on the trail, gotta do.

And this winter, he added all the Winter Cross-Country trails!

But then.. Somehow it all morphs into anything on the USGS maps, and when I say maps... These guys have older versions! And that includes trails, old roads, old railbeds, squiggles, you name it.

And somehow.. Slippery slope (as it literally sometimes is), and now I apparently have signed up for USGS Trail Quest.

So does the trail quest now include older non-maintained trails like the Sunset Trail (#24) and Hennessy Trail (#25) off of Wawona Road that's shown on this 1920's Yosemite Valley map?

Just wondering. grinning smiley

Leave No Trace
March 31, 2016 04:36PM
I wouldn't do that....

would I

Grinning Devil

(if you look more... you'll see Peregoy Meadow and Mono Meadow trails too... )
(I haven't found much of those) (ok, haven't found any... but have sorta looked)

March 31, 2016 07:02PM
plawrence

So does the trail quest now include older non-maintained trails like the Sunset Trail (#24) and Hennessy Trail (#25) off of Wawona Road that's shown on this 1920's Yosemite Valley map?

chick-on
I wouldn't do that....

would I

The answers are yes, and yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 07:03PM by basilbop.
April 13, 2016 04:34PM
basilbop
plawrence

chick-on
I wouldn't do that....

would I

Then, of course, you would have to include the famous and well-documented Big Oak Flat Horse Trail. You can find the middle of that thread here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,48394,82144#msg-82144
April 14, 2016 10:03AM
wherever
basilbop
plawrence

chick-on
I wouldn't do that....

would I

Then, of course, you would have to include the famous and well-documented Big Oak Flat Horse Trail. You can find the middle of that thread here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,48394,82144#msg-82144

O it's included... I mean I did it twice up... and once down... they can do it once ... no?
Seems fair to me...

(Coming soon to a theatre near you... "Mutiny at The Yosemite" )

April 14, 2016 02:01PM
Chick-on is looking at you! : "If the trail isn't on the map, that just means I haven't drawn it in yet..."
March 30, 2016 03:53PM
abetterpitchfork

eye gotz to do sumtin whilst eye m a waitin fir z old stick n fedders n just keepin on

the boss

nixed the "let's walk all the campground loops so just keep keepin on duzn't have that on me" ramblings...
there was the usual "why are u walking in a circle again?"

smiling smiley

having fun! that's what!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 03:54PM by chick-on.
March 30, 2016 10:45PM
chick-on
o My! It was Pounding head on desk BUSY Saturday in the valley!
Wow!

Quite the difference come Monday tho... back to nice and peacefully quiet...

smiling smiley

Got to park at 9 pm Friday and just got home about two hours ago. Avoided the valley during the busy times, walked part way around Wawona Meadow loop one afternoon, went to Badger on Sun and Tues so my son could ski. Was in the valley on Monday afternoon when it was snowing there. Went to Ahwahnee twice and saw that people have removed tape from historical plaques and even in the elevator and they didn't replace it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 11:58PM by parklover.
March 30, 2016 10:35PM
No way I would do that.
March 31, 2016 08:43PM
A few years ago we were hiking around North Dome and met a young woman, maybe 25 years old, who announced to us all when she walked by that she had now hiked every trail in Yosemite. We couldn't help but be a little skeptical. We were pretty sure she wasn't old enough, or had been hiking enough, to go all the possible places there are in Yosemite.

We do not share that skepticism about the group on these boards...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 01, 2016 07:43AM
balzaccom
A few years ago we were hiking around North Dome and met a young woman, maybe 25 years old, who announced to us all when she walked by that she had now hiked every trail in Yosemite

Perhaps that woman was JustKeepWalking, back in the days before chick-on started throwing her obscure-trail curveballs! smiling smiley
April 11, 2016 07:54AM
PineCone
balzaccom
A few years ago we were hiking around North Dome and met a young woman, maybe 25 years old, who announced to us all when she walked by that she had now hiked every trail in Yosemite

Perhaps that woman was JustKeepWalking, back in the days before chick-on started throwing her obscure-trail curveballs! smiling smiley

I am defended... the trail wasn't obscured...

April 14, 2016 05:38PM
PineCone
balzaccom

No, no.. Still have miles to do before finishing.... Though it would be awesome if I looked 25 only a few years ago!!
April 14, 2016 09:24PM
(actually these days she looks about 28)

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login