Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Where is this view of Half Dome from?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Where is this view of Half Dome from?
April 16, 2016 08:45AM
Saw this on Instragram, any guesses?

Original source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEP7uKmsPEI/
Re: Where is this view of Half Dome from?
April 16, 2016 10:18AM
Ledge trail?
April 16, 2016 10:33AM
Torero14
Ledge trail?

It seems a bit high for that. Maybe the side of Sentinel Dome?
April 16, 2016 12:26PM
wherever
Torero14
Ledge trail?

It seems a bit high for that. Maybe the side of Sentinel Dome?
I haven't been to Sentinel Dome in a while but I don't remember any side of the dome looking like that and HalfDome is too low in that picture. Maybe it was taken somewhere on the Pohono Trail? I usually get to the top of Sentinel by parking on the side of the Glacier Pt road and walking up the service road so I have not been on the Pohono Trail below Sentinel Dome. Maybe the Pink One will be able to give us a answer.
April 16, 2016 04:30PM
Patterson.
avatar Re: Where is this view of Half Dome from?
April 16, 2016 04:43PM
I was going to say Ledge Trail, and maybe its just at the spot where you turn into the gully, in other words where Staircase Falls comes out of the gully and starts the staircasing down towards Curry.
But I think wherever is right...this is shot from just a bit higher. So when you come out of the gully, if you head straight towards Glacier Point (rather than going up to the 4 Mile Trail to the snack shop and then heading north to Glacier Point) there is a little bit of an accessible ridge that sticks out to the north. Maybe 250 yards west of Glacier Point. My guess is there. Or, then again, maybe the top of the exposed part of the Ledge Trail.

Here is the little ridge just below and west of Glacier Point

And here is the somewhat lower, top of the exposed part of the Ledge trail, before heading into the gully.
April 16, 2016 05:20PM
Could be somewhere on the Four Mile Trail.

April 16, 2016 07:58PM
Bearproof's ledge trail looks the closest...look at Half Dome compared to Clouds Rest and the diving board. Plus Mount Watkins.
April 18, 2016 07:19AM
Ya. I agree with poof...

Here's my pix near the turn...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login