Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: One for gophersnake (4 Mile Trail)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar One for gophersnake (4 Mile Trail)
March 27, 2017 01:14PM
Took this Thursday from Old Big Oak Flat Road (Rockslides) (more on that later)

Union Point and 4 Mile Trail...

And some rock thing-a-ding

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 01:15PM by chick-on.
avatar Re: One for gophersnake (4 Mile Trail)
March 27, 2017 03:52PM
chick-on
Took this Thursday from Old Big Oak Flat Road (Rockslides) (more on that later)

Union Point and 4 Mile Trail...

And some rock thing-a-ding

Sadly Agassiz Column doesn't appear to be in view (nor Moran Point). sad smiley

But least your photo has a grand view of South Dome in the background.

Leave No Trace
March 28, 2017 04:08PM
Yeah, and what's that in the upper left? It looks like it has a big cloud just resting on it... =p
March 28, 2017 08:58PM
How was the trail condition? still very snowy?
March 28, 2017 11:35PM
arthas86
How was the trail condition? still very snowy?

I went up 4MT on Sunday.

The gate below Union Point was closed. This is where the trail goes up the steep switchbacks just before Union Point. It is in deep shade and was deep with snow.

I went less than 50 yards past the gate and turned back. No one had broken the trail recently, the existing steps were filled in, the snow was not consolidated, I was postholing, steep snow slope with exposure, on a trail I hadn't been on in years so wasn't sure where it went, weather looked like it was about to storm, I sided with caution and turned back.

As I was heading back another party came to the gate. I gave my explanation of of why I turned back. They tried it and also turned back.

The trail to that point wasn't too bad, but the ends of many of the last switchbacks were filled in with snow which made it 'interesting'.

I was up JMT to Clark Point a month ago and it was quite similar until I got to the gate. I'd say that 4MT is more than a month behind JMT/Mist Trail in melting out.

I'll see if I can get a trip report with photos up in the next few days.
March 29, 2017 10:28AM
Thanks for the detail report on the trail's condition, qumqats! Really appreciate it. Sigh, I am hoping that the snow at 4MT will melt by mid May but it seems unlikely; still I shall pray for miracle to happen! smiling smiley

It is possible to walk past the gate even it is closed? I have never been to the trail before so I don't know how and the gate looks like, and how steep the trail is. (Not saying I will walk past the gate by any means when I hike there in May by the way)
March 31, 2017 10:37PM
There's nothing to keep from you walking around the gate, it's easy to do, people do so.
It's often not a good idea to do it tho! and I have no idea what'll happen if you get caught by a ranger. I would think the biggest problem would be if something goes wrong and SAR ends up having to pull you out!
April 04, 2017 10:29AM
Hey, thanks, chick-on!

The view is pretty similar to the "El Capitan" webcam on Turtleback Dome, but much better resolution. In those webcam shots I can barely pick out Union Point when the lighting happens to be good. In yours I can identify individual switchbacks.
April 04, 2017 10:47AM
Glad you like!

It's a 30x zoomie from Old Big Oak Flat Road... I didn't even see when taking...
Got home... and wow... this is cool! gophersnake will like this!!
It's just something didn't notice before. Not sure can see well with nekked eyeballs.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login