Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glacier Point Road Closure

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Glacier Point Road Closure
March 29, 2017 01:17PM
The Glacier Point Road will be closed to public access at the end of Yosemite Ski and Snowboard Area's last day of the season - Sunday, April 2nd. The gate at Chinquapin will be closed and locked at 7pm that evening. The road will be open to Administrative Traffic Only to Badger. Roads crews will begin snow clearing operations on the road starting at Badger the following day, April 3rd. No traffic will be allowed beyond Badger Pass. Bicycles will not be permitted on the Glacier Point Road during snow removal.
March 31, 2017 01:14PM
I realize this question may border on the annoying...

Once they start plowing, is there a reasonable/usual amount of time before GP road opens? I see in 2011 it didn't open until may 27, but I think they are plowing earlier this year.

I'll be there with my dad/brothers the April 27-May1, and as the designated planner trying to think through options if the road is/isn't open.

Thanks!
March 31, 2017 02:22PM
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

The norm is mid-May. There's been less snow/storms in recent years, thus the earlier road opening dates. Wouldn't anticipate that for this year, but who knows. You should probably have some contingency plans, though.
avatar Re: Glacier Point Road Closure
March 31, 2017 03:17PM
jchapell
I'll be there with my dad/brothers the April 27-May1, and as the designated planner trying to think through options if the road is/isn't open.

The road is very unlikely to be open by May 1st. There's a lot of snow.
March 31, 2017 10:51PM
How many miles of 10 plus feet of snow are they having to plow through?
How many downed trees are buried in that snow?
How many rock/mud slides?
How much repair work to the road and culverts?
How long will it take to >SAFELY< clear the avalanche zones? ( they're EXTREMELY careful with this since they've had fatalities in years past when plows get carried over the edge by avalanches )

Once the plowing starts there will be regular reports of the progress and problems they're running into.
April 02, 2017 11:23AM
qumqats
How many miles of 10 plus feet of snow are they having to plow through?
How many downed trees are buried in that snow?
How many rock/mud slides?
How much repair work to the road and culverts?
How long will it take to >SAFELY< clear the avalanche zones? ( they're EXTREMELY careful with this since they've had fatalities in years past when plows get carried over the edge by avalanches )

Once the plowing starts there will be regular reports of the progress and problems they're running into.

A good list of what must be done. Plowing the snow would be the easy part if they didn't what to worry about downed trees, road damage, mud and rock slides, etc..

Besides a lot of snow, I expect they'll have to deal with a lot more downed trees and and unstable trees (that's they'll need to remove) before they open Glacier Point Road to the public.

Leave No Trace
April 01, 2017 09:46PM
Thanks for the info all - time for backup plans!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login