Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Degnan's update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Degnan's update
July 23, 2017 04:26PM
We did go to Degnan's to get sandwiches on July 11th. They are now serving 8 sandwiches and the one I usually get was on the menu. OK, that is the good news. While the buns were good, your only choice for bread now is a white or whole wheat bun not the huge choice you had before. My son used to get just ham on a roll without anything else for around $3. They wanted to charge us $11. Sandwiches now are between $7.25 -11. I made a stink and talked to several people and was able to get just ham on a roll in the end for a bit more than we used to pay. You now go to a electronic kiosk and order your sandwiches so you are limited in what you can add or remove from the sandwiches. You then stand around until they call your name. I miss the personalized way that you used to get sandwiches. They only sell kettle type chips so there are no Doritos, Cheetos, Lays etc. The fountain drinks are not a brand that I am familiar with but they do have bottled drinks like Pepsi. Missing are also all the kinds of snacks that you used to be able to get. The bakery was almost completely sold out except for a few muffins and cookies so I can't say what that is like. In the past we used to get three sandwiches, three bottled drinks, two bear cookies, a packet of olives and two bags of chips for around $37. This time the ham and roll, two sandwiches, three bottled drinks and one pack of olives came to $47. I didn't go in the room to the left so I don't know if the fireplace is there. The old gift shop is now seating and also has a fireplace and a strange area with what looks like a book case along the wall. Some of the seating is along a high top bar like area and some tables. The non personal service reminded us of eating at LEGOLAND and the décor was a mixture of Ikea and LEGOLAND. The bathrooms have been redone with a trough sink with two faucets. The tile and décor is modern and reminded me of Ikea or the way California Pizza Kitchen bathrooms are now decorated. Hubby said that one of the urinals is near the door so you have to squeeze yourself past if someone is using it. The loft was closed but we stopped by another day just to look at it. The fireplace has been redone and looks like it is workable again. There were some regular tables and some high top tables. The bar runs along one side of the wall and you go there to order your pizza. The pizza looked pretty good and is served on one of those big wooden pizza paddles you see in restaurants. One thing that we noticed is that there is less seating despite the fact that there is room to put in more tables. Again the décor is Ikea looking. They now have something they call Irish nachos made with waffle fries, BBQ chicken wings, green salad, fruit salad, waffle fries, meatballs, pound cake and a cream pie of the day in addition to pizza. The place now feels so impersonal and with the décor, I don't feel like I am in a national park but in some theme park. Probably will not go back to the deli part and debatable about the Loft. Frankly we are really disappointed. I took pics on my phone but have not idea how to post them here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 04:27PM by parklover.
Re: Degnan's update
July 23, 2017 11:28PM
Hi parklover!

Just back from SEKI. Missing Yos a good bit, but am saddened to hear your report about Degnans. Not sure I'd like the changes either, and certainly not the bread choices! Sigh.

Not sure when I will be in the Valley again, as I prefer to avoid summer crowds there..

Be well!
July 24, 2017 09:55AM
Thanks for the update, the changes sound lousy, including the décor. sad smiley
July 28, 2017 11:22AM
We are not happy with the changes at all. Over the 30 plus years we have been going, there have been lots of changes and not all for the best. This goes on the not the best list. Have not stayed in the lodging so have no idea how that has changed.
July 28, 2017 11:17AM
We go in the summer but try to avoid the valley and go other places. We were curious about Degans so made sure we went at a time the crowds had not arrived yet or had left.
July 24, 2017 03:17PM
Sorry to hear that. Did you notice if there was any gluten free bread choice for the sandwiches? It used to be available for any of the sandwiches, including the breakfast ones.
July 28, 2017 11:18AM
I think there was a gluten free option but can't say for sure since I was not looking specifically for it.
July 25, 2017 05:52PM
That mostly sounds disappointing to me as well. I was amused, however, by the following sentence:
parklover
They now have something they call Irish nachos made with waffle fries, BBQ chicken wings, green salad, fruit salad, waffle fries, meatballs, pound cake and a cream pie of the day in addition to pizza.
The way I read this at first was that that entire string of items was the list of ingredients for the Irish nachos! You can imagine my astonishment when I got to the "nachos" including "pound cake AND a cream pie of the day!" Rolling on floor laugh
July 25, 2017 10:30PM
DavidK42
You can imagine my astonishment when I got to the "nachos" including "pound cake AND a cream pie of the day!" Rolling on floor laugh

How dare they leave out the Twinkies!
July 28, 2017 11:21AM
Not a Twinkie in sight. sigh.
July 28, 2017 11:20AM
LOL I need to review before I post.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login