Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Camping Reservations Math

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Camping Reservations Math
January 18, 2018 02:46PM
Well, it's not exactly a math test, but it does involve numbers. :-)

I currently have a 5 day reservation in May at Upper Pines. I would like to reserve 5 more days during the second half of August at Tuolumne Meadows. However, I could probably make the first half of August work, if need be. So what I would like to do is……
1) Book 5 nights for the first half of August on March 15
2) Book 5 nights for the second half of August on April 15
3) If both #1 and #2 above are successful, cancel #1 immediately upon completing #2.

My question is, will the reservation system allow this to happen since there is a 14 night camping limit from May 1 to Sept 15? Or does it only become a problem if you try and show up for a 15th day? Has anybody has had experience with this kind of situation?

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed.
January 18, 2018 06:09PM
You could book your early August reservation for 4 days only, allowing your later, 5 day reservation to work. Tuolumne campground is not "site specific" so you can likely get your extra night when checking in (if the second attempt fails).
PS. check your PM
avatar Re: Camping Reservations Math
January 18, 2018 07:23PM
troutwild
You could book your early August reservation for 4 days only, allowing your later, 5 day reservation to work. Tuolumne campground is not "site specific" so you can likely get your extra night when checking in (if the second attempt fails).
PS. check your PM

That is an option. Thanks.
January 18, 2018 07:35PM
I don't know specifically about Yosemite, but in some cases recreation.gov allows you to make a reservation before the official window for that date opens, if it is a continuation of a reservation that starts in a current window. So if you want to stay from August 12-18, you make the reservation when it becomes available for the first date...and simply extend it beyond the currently open window to the 18th/ At least, I've done that via recreation.gov for another campground

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
January 18, 2018 07:46PM
balzaccom
I don't know specifically about Yosemite, but in some cases recreation.gov allows you to make a reservation before the official window for that date opens, if it is a continuation of a reservation that starts in a current window. So if you want to stay from August 12-18, you make the reservation when it becomes available for the first date...and simply extend it beyond the currently open window to the 18th/ At least, I've done that via recreation.gov for another campground

Yeah it does for Yosemite, but I'm shooting for later in the month so no real chance to overlap based on my desired dates.
January 19, 2018 10:44AM
If you try to exceed your limit of days in Yosemite, your last reservation attempt will be kicked out and say "inventory not available...choose fewer days." Or, at least that's what I've experienced in the past. And this was when I've tried to get another reservation for my sister along with for myself. Last year, for Tuolumne, I was able to get two campsites for two nights, then we both added on at the kiosk, able to keep our sites.
January 19, 2018 01:33PM
hikerchick395
If you try to exceed your limit of days in Yosemite, your last reservation attempt will be kicked out and say "inventory not available...choose fewer days." Or, at least that's what I've experienced in the past. And this was when I've tried to get another reservation for my sister along with for myself. Last year, for Tuolumne, I was able to get two campsites for two nights, then we both added on at the kiosk, able to keep our sites.

Thanks. It's starting to sound like that is, indeed, how it works. Guess I'll just have to figure out how I want to deal with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login