All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 23, 2018 06:42PM
The Mist Trail is closed due to hazardous conditions from the John Muir Trail junction to the top of Vernal Fall. The 4 Mile Trail above the gate near Union Point is also closed until further notice due to snow and ice.
March 01, 2018 03:46PM
It's too bad that unless you ask them in person, NPS doesn't make it clear exactly where the Four Mile Trail is closed. The announcement on the Current Conditions page says:

The Four Mile Trail is closed from Union Point to Glacier Point. It is possible to hike about halfway up the trail from Yosemite Valley (to Union Point).

That really should say "almost to Union Point." In fact, the gate that they use for these closures is located five switchbacks below Union Point. My understanding is that the worst snow and ice hazards are usually higher up, about half a mile before the Glacier Point end, where the trail stops climbing and traverses a cliff. However, I was told that the ravine between Union Point and Moran Point can also pose a hazard when there's enough snow.
March 06, 2018 06:48AM
They do a pretty good job of describing where it is here:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/fourmiletrail.htm

We talked about it here also:
https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,88231,88231#msg-88231

Was going to post a pix for you from Feb 8 when checked out top o Horsetail...
but didn't ... but this is good setup... so ear you go

Actually took some really zoomy one's... but they're not really too sexy.

w/r to nps and all... I dunno if you just talking website or you calling or whatnot.
or you in person. or what. but you have to be aware that there's a lot of seasonal
workers and new workers and, quite frankly, people that have been there forever,
that may not really know a lot on account they may not get out much or yadda
yadda yadda. mostly it's not their fault but maybe it is or i dunno

Anyway, the website link above has good info. Someone somewhere probably
got a good idea and it got put into place.

Anyzoo.... w/r to switchbacks... I guess you don't count the "legs" ?
I tend to count the legs. so I'd say 6. but I guess technically there are 5 TURNS
so 5 switchbacks? But then when I get to the last turn I'm not done.
?
sigh
coming down Snow over christmas... someone going up tells me viz center
told them 109... I was irked. counted them MANY times up and down...
always got 108. it starts heading west... ends heading east... so has to be even
unless not counting legs.. then it's 107. but then I'm missing 2.
I'm not a cat. I have 10 digits. so. I dunno how I got wrong.
smiling smiley

Anywho (again)
More fun here for people who are bored. or they could just post a picture or something
https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,66049,66049#msg-66049

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login