Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glen Aulin camp

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glen Aulin camp
June 05, 2018 11:09PM
… I remembered reading how the bridge to Glen Aulin camp had washed out last spring and as I reached the spot where the bridge is, no new bridge. You'd think the Ranger would have remembered that small detail. Luckily there was a log across the water so I said goodbye to Pathfinder and went to make camp in a deserted Glen Aulin. Now besides a backpackers camping area here they normally have canvas tents and a kitchen running during the summer for people that make reservations to stay there. They bring the food and supplies in by mule train but with the bridge out its been closed for a year now and doesn't look like it will open this year either.

https://www.postholer.com/journal/Pacific-Crest-Trail/2018/mgundry/2018-05-30/Day-59-Donahue-Pass-/61904
June 06, 2018 06:49AM
They certainly haven't fixed it over the winter...
tongue sticking out smiley

https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,91413,91413#msg-91413

Bigger question I have is what is status of Pate Valley bridge.
Did it go bye bye in March/April storms?

And why do so few post anything?

And why is there a "backpacking and hiking" sub-forum?

And who invented liquid soap and why?

And what's better, butter or margarine?

And is it Laurel Lake or Yanny Lake?

Silver or blue, it's up to you.

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 06:51AM by chick-on.
June 06, 2018 07:35AM
chick-on
They certainly haven't fixed it over the winter...
tongue sticking out smiley

https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,91413,91413#msg-91413

Bigger question I have is what is status of Pate Valley bridge.
Did it go bye bye in March/April storms?

And why do so few post anything?

And why is there a "backpacking and hiking" sub-forum?

And who invented liquid soap and why?

And what's better, butter or margarine?

And is it Laurel Lake or Yanny Lake?

Silver or blue, it's up to you.

Soap now comes in liquid? Who knew!
June 06, 2018 08:38AM
Not only that!

I heard you can eat thems Tides Podz.

Must be safe.

June 08, 2018 12:30PM
who invented liquid soap... dunno, but it reminded me of that billy Connolly joke~ who was the first man to milk a cow, and what did he think he was doing?!!?
as for which is best, butter or margarine...I guess its whatever Marlon Brando usedno, stop, enough!
June 06, 2018 12:31PM
We had reservations for early July at Glen Aulin HSC this year. (Actually the reservations were for last year, but the High Sierra Camps never opened due to the near-record snowfall. Fortunately, they just pushed our reservation to the following summer and we didn't have to try our luck in the lottery again). We got a call from the HSC folks at Aramark several months ago saying that Glen Aulin would open about two weeks later than originally planned this summer due to the bridge reconstruction, and therefore would again be closed on our scheduled dates. We were able to shift our reservation to the one slot they had available in August before the kids go back to school, so we will get there this summer... even if Waterwheel Falls will probably be more like Waterbump Falls by then.

I have no idea how long it will take them to repair/reconstruct the bridge over Conness Creek, but at least back in late winter when we got the call the plan was that the work would not be complete until sometime in July.
June 18, 2018 03:29PM
Looks like the repairs to Conness Creek Bridge are going to take longer than originally anticipated. Maybe it received additional damage this past winter? I just received the below email regarding our trip to Glen Aulin HSC. We are scheduled to arrive at the camp on August 9th.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We look forward to your upcoming stay at Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp in Yosemite National Park.

We are contacting you to inform you that the Conness Creek Bridge, which hikers use to access Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp, received significant damage from winter floods. Though the National Park Service is working to repair the bridge, it is unlikely to be completed prior to your trip. There is an alternate way to access Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp via crossing the creek. Click here to view a map that indicates a general area that visitors and NPS administrative staff have used safely, but be advised that you should choose a crossing you deem safe within your own abilities and capacity for risk.

Visitors should expect to wade Conness Creek, which is flowing moderately and up to 2' deep. All Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp guests must review safety information provided.

Safety recommendations for creek crossings:
•Never underestimate the danger associated with stream crossings
•Bring a spare pair of sandals or sneakers to change into. Crossing barefoot decreases traction and exposes your feet to submerged hazards such as boulders, logs, and lost fishing tackle.
•Bring a hiking pole or use a sturdy stick to provide three points of contact with the river bottom and increase your balance.
•Check with a ranger for current river conditions along your route prior to entering the wilderness.
•Creek crossing are often easiest to cross in the cool, early mornings when the volume of water is lower making them shallower with a slower current. Current can rise significantly within a few hours on warm sunny days or after heavy rains, making a slow stream an impassable torrent.
•Select a route through the widest channels or where there are many channels instead of just one. As water disperses it flows slower and becomes shallower.
•Spend time walking up and downstream in order to find a crossing site suitable for the entire group.
•Be aware of hazards downstream. Never attempt to cross above rapids or falls.
•Release the waist and sternum belts of your pack. Should you fall, you must be able to remove the pack.
•Finally, always include an option for a retreat back to shore should the crossing become too difficult. Never over-commit yourself to one route.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,

Yosemite Hospitality

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, unless we get cold feet about going in to Glen Aulin, looks like we'll have cold feet going in to Glen Aulin!
June 26, 2018 11:58AM
Thanks for those updates.

I was told they are currently working on the pate valley bridge...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login