Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (96% of Full)

Advanced

Re: NY Times article on Yosemite after the Ferguson fire

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

NY Times article on Yosemite after the Ferguson fire
November 11, 2018 09:09AM
Entering Burn Area’: Yosemite After the Fire
America’s national parks are increasingly bearing the burden of climate change, as rising temperatures and new weather patterns create mega blazes. A report from the burn zone.
By Bonnie Tsui
Nov. 5, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/travel/yosemite-fires.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Travel
Re: NY Times article on Yosemite after the Ferguson fire
November 11, 2018 01:52PM
Interesting article although her comments on the Firefall are not particularly accurate. Most of the regulars on this board know this, I'm sure but for anyone who isn't familiar with the Firefall, it wasn't the pushing of a bonfire off the cliff (thereby creating some massive fire hazard as the Times article sort of implies). Rather, the glowing embers of the remains of a bonfire were pushed over the cliff where they landed on a ledge long before they hit the Valley floor. Granted, this was still conceivably a fire hazard, at least it would be in today's hyper-dry climate if there happened to be strong enough winds to carry the embers far away from the cliff ledge. This, however, wasn't the reason the Firefall was halted. It was stopped because the massive crowds that gathered to watch it each night were creating massive traffic jams and, more importantly, destroying the meadows as they walked and even drove out there to get a better view!
avatar Re: NY Times article on Yosemite after the Ferguson fire
November 12, 2018 10:37AM
I'll just say I'm utterly confused by a number of the statements in the article.

Wish instead of hiking to Nevada Falls via Panorama... they would have maybe been allowed to hike to Hite Cove.

I hiked in a burn area within the park and immediately outside it lies a litany of deadfall...

Have a nice day

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login