Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Bear Facts For June 2-16 2019

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Bear Facts For June 2-16 2019
June 19, 2019 09:53AM
2019 Total Bear Incidents: 3
2019 Total Property Damage: $ 190

Compared to this same week in 2018 (the lowest year on record for bear incidents), bear incidents in 2019 are the same as last year, and damage amounts (in dollars) are down by 57%. Compared to 1998 (when incidents in the park peaked), bear incidents in 2019 are down by 99%, and damages are down by 99.9%.

Bear Activity Summary: The beginning of June marked the first bear incidents in Yosemite including a bear attaining food from illegal food hangs at Lake Vernon, and a bear investigating canisters and attaining food at Snow Creek. When out hiking, picnicking, or camping in bear country, it is important to keep food within arm’s reach or to store food properly in a sealed or latched bear resistant food container/locker. Hanging food in Yosemite is illegal. There are multiple active bears in Yosemite Valley in and near development. Always stay at least 50 yards away from bears, avoid surrounding or blocking the animal from having an escape route, and maintain vigilance on reporting bears and practicing good food storage in the campgrounds, workplace and residential areas.

Red Bear, Dead Bear: A bear was hit by a vehicle on the Big Oak Flat Road near Foresta. Please help protect wildlife by obeying speed limits and being prepared to stop for animals in roadways. A map of bear-hit-by-vehicle hot spots, along with other Yosemite Bear Information can be viewed at http://www.KeepBearsWild.org.

Fascinating Bear Fact: Although mountain lions are considered apex predators, black bears will often push mountain lions off their kills, exhibiting sub-dominant behavior to bears.

Please report bear incidents and sightings: Call the Save-A-Bear Hotline at +1 209 372-0322 or e-mail yose_bear_mgmt@nps.gov.

Other Wildlife Sightings: Mountain lions have been reported across Yosemite National Park. Recent observations of lions exhibiting curiosity and following visitors have occurred in wilderness areas. For more information on mountain lions in Yosemite National Park, please visit the National Park Service website: http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/mountainlion.html
avatar Re: Yosemite Bear Facts For June 2-16 2019
June 19, 2019 10:42AM
Must be dis bear at Vernon.

Had just boated across and he came sauntering up.
Um... yeah, get outta here ya clown.

And, yeah, I saw people hanging food at Vernon.

Sigh

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 19, 2019 04:20PM
Saw two bears on the Rockslides trail June 4. The larger one did not want to yield access.
June 28, 2019 09:54PM
>"Saw two bears on the Rockslides trail June 4. The larger one did not want to yield access."

and then what happened? What should be done in a similar situation?
July 01, 2019 09:24AM
I first waved my arms and yelled Go Bear. Usually bears take off just by seeing you, like the first bear. When that didn't faze it, I threw some branches and just got some huffs. But I wanted rocks (rockslides...where is a rock when you need one?) Once I threw rocks, the bear reluctantly went up the slope after the first one.
avatar Re: Yosemite Bear Facts For June 2-16 2019
July 15, 2019 06:19PM
Any bear updates???
July 15, 2019 09:09PM
Here is a link to the Bear Facts page on the Yosemite NP website. It says it is "updated as often as possible", so I'm not sure there is a regular update interval.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login