Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: I'm going to be driving to Vegas after TM. Best route?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

I'm going to be driving to Vegas after TM. Best route?
August 04, 2019 09:08PM
Google maps says
120 to 6 to NV 264/266, getting to 95.
Or
395 to Big Pine, 168 to NV 266 to 95.

I've been to Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest before, so I've been on part of the route from Big Pine.
August 05, 2019 06:08AM
I guess it depends on what you mean by "best". We did this a couple of years ago and drove to Lone Pine, spent the night, then drove through Death Valley Natl Park, and on to Vegas.
August 05, 2019 07:18AM
I guess 'best route' wasn't the greatest adjective to use. I guess It should be something like: Somewhat interesting drive, without too many stops because it will be hot, and we are meeting other family members in Vegas Friday evening.
In addition, my two sons and I have all been to Death Valley fairly recently(non-summer). And, like I said in my original post, we had been to Ancient Bristlecones two years ago.
August 09, 2019 11:39PM
The 120 - 6 - 264 - 266 - 95 route is the shortest route from Yosemite to Las Vegas and is very popular during the summer. Much of it is at relatively high elevation; Sagehen Summit, Montgomery Pass and Lida Summit are all over 7,000 feet, so it is substantially cooler. That's the route I would take. The 168 has many curves and is thus a lot slower.
August 05, 2019 08:04AM
I've made that trip a bunch of times (including just last night) - my preference is 395 to Big Pine, and then 168 / 266 across to 95 in NV. It has teh advantage of the two highish passes on 168, where it's a little cooler. In winter the Lone Pine -> Death Valley route is an option, but I try to stay away from the brain-melting temperatures this time of year.

Typical time from TM to my place in LV is right around 6 hours.
August 05, 2019 01:58PM
Thank you. The Big Pine route was the one that I preferred. Nice to hear about it from someone.
August 05, 2019 08:43AM
One day there might be Interstate 11 that runs diagonally from Reno to Vegas. So would be 395 N to 80? Not useful I know, and very loosely tied to this topic. Actually it all remains speculation lol. Somewhat fun to talk about nonetheless.😀

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 08:44AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
August 10, 2019 08:59AM
I drive it a lot and have tried all the other ways mentioned, I found the fastest route and easiest is the 120, to the 6, to the 95 through Tonopah is the fastest.
August 12, 2019 08:38AM
lonelugger
[…] I found the fastest route and easiest is the 120, to the 6, to the 95 through Tonopah is the fastest.

"The 120"? While in winter "the 395" extends as far north as Mammoth Lakes, no part of 120 (or 6) is ever south of the Nor Cal/So Cal freeway article discontinuity line... (95 isn't even in California, so "the 95" probably exists only as some temporal time-space wormhole thing near Las Vegas on weekends...)
Yeah, when I see "95" my assumption is I-95, which is the main highway along the east coast. Apparently people in CA don't identify roads by which entity was responsible for their construction. My guess is that what he was trying to say was, CA 120 to US 6 to US 95 through Tonopah and then on to Las Vegas.

If it were me, and I wasn't in a rush, I'd have driven across Nevada to Great Basin NP, spent some time there, and then on to Las Vegas. Then again, if it were me, I'd avoid Las Vegas altogether if I could. About all it's useful for is a starting point for the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce.
August 13, 2019 10:17AM
California specifically avoids having the same number shared across in-state Interstate, US, and California highways. CA 180 (otherwise known as the Kings Canyon highway) is one unfortunately-chosen CA highway number since it prevents the use of I-180 for a spur/connector off I-80 (such as for the oddly-numbered I-238...).
August 11, 2019 04:55PM
Thanks all for the input. We did the 395 to Big Pine, 168 / 266 / 95 route. It was a fascinating (and some not so) drive through areas where most people wouldn't necessarily go.

I loved the free range area near Oasis, where a cow was standing in the middle of the eastbound road, not even thinking about moving. I can't imagine doing that drive at night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login