Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: California congressman pulled rank to get Yosemite tickets, emails indicate

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar California congressman pulled rank to get Yosemite tickets, emails indicate
August 06, 2020 02:44PM
A congressman from Fresno has come under criticism for bypassing the Yosemite reservation system to get passes for the booked-up park on the Fourth of July.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/06/california-congressman-pulled-rank-to-get-yosemite-tickets-emails-indicate/
Re: California congressman pulled rank to get Yosemite tickets, emails indicate
August 06, 2020 11:01PM
I wonder how often this happens. I doubt he is the first or last to do so, either for day use passes, or any other pass or permit. I bet employees do it too as they are able, like a bartender giving a free drink to a friend, barista a free coffee, etc.

I'm conflicted. I can get on my high horse and condemn them, but if we had a friend in Yosemite that could get us a day use permit, half dome permit, wilderness permit, campground site, etc. how many of us would totally use that? I guess good to keep them honest, but seems much ado about nothing.
avatar Re: California congressman pulled rank to get Yosemite tickets, emails indicate
August 07, 2020 11:51AM
buster
I wonder how often this happens. I doubt he is the first or last to do so, either for day use passes, or any other pass or permit. I bet employees do it too as they are able, like a bartender giving a free drink to a friend, barista a free coffee, etc.

I'm conflicted. I can get on my high horse and condemn them, but if we had a friend in Yosemite that could get us a day use permit, half dome permit, wilderness permit, campground site, etc. how many of us would totally use that? I guess good to keep them honest, but seems much ado about nothing.

I'm sure they've given special access to people who have been able to provide media coverage. Remember when Oprah Winfrey got a campsite in Upper Pines on short notice? However, that was supposedly at the invitation of Ranger Shelton Johnson. But just a member of Congress asking for a day pass? I don't think that's really something they should be engaged in doing.

I'd think the majority of members of Congress want a room somewhere. And giving someone special access to withheld reservations would open up to the possibility that they're trying to influence the federal government with regards to future concessions contracts.
Thanks for the link. As far as corruption goes, this is peanuts. Fun to hear but of no real consequence.

As a rabbit owner, my favorite corruption story is still Rep. Duncan Hunter who used campaign funds to fly his pet rabbit.

I also think it's one thing to ask a friend, but this is not asking a friend, this is using their position of power. I do agree it happens all the time.

At one point, my child was friends with a pastor's child. During a playdate, I overheard the pastor speaking with his wife; the arrogance and expectations he had "because of our position, because who we are" was astounding. Such a pious and humble face in public, so different in private.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login