Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Big Oak Flat Road Traffic Delays

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Big Oak Flat Road Traffic Delays
January 14, 2021 10:14AM
On January 14 and 15 (Thursday and Friday) between 9AM and 5PM there will be intermittent 15 minute delays on the Big Oak Flat Road at the Longest Tunnel. For these two days a crew will be evaluating the lights and power systems in this northern most (longest) tunnel on the Big Oak Flat Road.
Re: Big Oak Flat Road Traffic Delays
January 14, 2021 11:25AM
The above note prompted this observation/question. Please note it is not meant to be critical... just something I thought was interesting.

I would describe the tunnel you are talking about as the "westernmost" tunnel on the Big Oak Flat Road. Is the Big Oak Flat Road considered by residents/locals as going "north" out of Yosemite Valley? While it is definitely the northernmost road out of the valley, it trends generally west-northwest, especially if you go all the way to Big Oak Flat. But I could see if that was considered the "north" route out of the valley, the furthest tunnel along that road would be the "northern most".

I notice you referred to the tunnel that is being evaluated as Longest Tunnel. While Wawona Tunnel is almost always referred to by name, I have never heard any of the other tunnels referred to by a specific name. Do NPS/residents/locals have names/nicknames for all three tunnels on the Big Oak Flat Road approach to Yosemite Valley?

As always, thanks to eeek for continuously keeping us up to date with things happening in and around Yosemite.
avatar Re: Big Oak Flat Road Traffic Delays
January 14, 2021 12:04PM
The wording came from NPS. I didn't change it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login