Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Pass/Lee Vining snow removal

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Pass/Lee Vining snow removal
May 30, 2023 06:20AM
Ken S posted something on this but it was inaccessible because I don't do Instagram.
Eeek, do you have a current status for Tioga Pass/Lee Vining snow removal?
avatar Re: Tioga Pass/Lee Vining snow removal
May 30, 2023 10:18AM
Last I heard the avalanch team was working at Olmsted.
avatar Re: Tioga Pass/Lee Vining snow removal
May 31, 2023 12:13PM
This just in: On State Route 120 E, maintenance crews out of Lee Vining have reached Ellery Lake and are within roughly three miles of reaching the gate.
June 21, 2023 11:03AM
Hi-

Got wilderness permits for July 2nd leaving TM/Budd Creek. Any update on Tioga Road? And even if the road is open, is there still several feet of snow on the trails?

thanks,
Mark
June 21, 2023 11:50AM
Look here: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

On the YNP facebook page, there's a video from a few days ago showing plowing by Olmstead Point. My money is on Tioga Road opening only after July 2.
June 21, 2023 12:17PM
I saw the website but hadn't seen the video. Thanks!

Yes, looks like there is a lot more work to do and even if they get the road open, hiking will be a bit challenging!
June 23, 2023 03:23PM
June 22, 2023 (updated every Friday)

Crews are continuing to work in the Olmsted Point area in thick ice, which has been exceptionally challenging (dozers are ineffective, so crews are using excavators to break up the ice so the blowers can plow it). Avalanche danger at Olmsted Point remains a concern.

There is road damage at Olmsted Point, 10 miles west of Olmsted Point, and near Tamarack Flat Campground. Assessments continue, and the roadbed is not visible at Olmsted Point due to ice.

In some years, Tioga Road opens to cyclists for a day or a few days prior to the road opening to vehicles. If this occurs this year, that update will appear here.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

They post every Friday

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2023 03:24PM by eLeMeNOhPee.
June 23, 2023 04:44PM
May well set a record this year. Latest historical opening (since 1980) was July 1 in 1997 and 2019.
June 28, 2023 09:17AM
Tioga Pass will not be open this year, From park service web site
Tioga Road is closed; Glacier Point Road limited opening starting July 1
Alert 2, Severity closure, Tioga Road is closed; Glacier Point Road limited opening starting July 1
Tioga Road (continuation of Hwy 120 through the park) is closed for the season. Glacier Point Road will be open July 1 from 6 am through July 4 at 10 pm, July 8 from 6 am through July 9 at 10 pm, then every day starting July 15 with 30-minute delays.
June 28, 2023 10:19AM
I don't see where it says Tioga road won't open. I see it says "closed for the season", but that's been the case since last November or so. On the "current conditions" page, it says, "There is no estimated opening date for Tioga Road. Spring opening work is in progress, but it will open later than usual this year due to heavy snowpack." And on the YNP facebook page, the most recent entry says "Tioga Road (continuation of Highway 120 through the park) will not be open for the Independence Day holiday."
June 28, 2023 07:59PM
Hope your are right, but the post is not encouraging. I was hoping for a pre-open bike day, so I guess I will just lug my bike along and hope you are correct! (I'll bike it even f it isn't bikes only)
June 29, 2023 10:46AM
I believe The Geezer is right. Although it is confusing. It is my understanding they are working everyday to get it open.
June 30, 2023 09:00AM
June 27, 2023. Snow removal is finished on State Route 120 W up to the gate of Yosemite. Shoulders and parking spots have been cleared. Lee Vining maintenance crews are now focused on rock work at the Blue Slide area of the highway. This process, along with the guardrail repair, is expected to last into mid-July. For updates on snow removal within Yosemite National Park, click here: Tioga Road Update.

From the caltrans website. I wonder if they will keep attacking from the east side now that they've reached the gate? Hopefully the NPS does an update today.
July 01, 2023 12:51PM
June 30, 2023 (updated every Friday)

At least one lane is plowed along the length of Tioga Road, although the Olmsted Point avalanche zone is still active and dangerous. More plowing, tree work, road work, and sign replacement is still required before the road can open. Additionally, restrooms must be available before the Tioga Road can open to the public. Restrooms are necessary to protect public health, water quality, and other park resources. There is no estimated opening date.

There is road damage at Olmsted Point, 10 miles west of Olmsted Point, and near Tamarack Flat Campground.

NPS website post
July 10, 2023 04:09PM
Yosemite's Iconic Tioga Road Remains Closed, and It's Still Not Clear When It Might Open
Update, Monday, July 10, 2023 -- KQED SF

... part of the delay in lifting travel restrictions in the area is the need to assess and repair roadside restrooms, staff housing and other facilities damaged during the winter.

“There’s a fair number of buildings up there,” Lyon said. “Almost all of them have taken some damage, and some of them are just completely destroyed.

Because of all the assessment and repair work, the park says it still cannot say when the road will open.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11955249/yosemites-iconic-tioga-road-remains-closed-and-its-still-not-clear-when-it-might-open

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2023 05:46PM by KenS.
July 12, 2023 10:26PM
Looking like at least another month I'd have to guess, just a guess, but then again I was shocked to read at least one lane is plowed all the way to the eastern entrance. I always wonder at what point do they just give up. I guess they're in too deep to do that now, not to mention they need to get this stuff repaired before next winter and it becomes to large of a task. Seems like a lot of work to open the road just in time for labor day (just a guess). I have backpacking permits for 8/29 so I'm watching this closely. Hopefully the campsites will be ready to go for when the road does open, it would be nice to spend a few extra nights up there after my backpacking trip ends to do a few day hikes. Haven't heard any news about the campsites on the 120 yet but obviously the road needs to open first. Not even crane flat is opened yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2023 10:28PM by eLeMeNOhPee.
July 13, 2023 09:56AM
also curious to see how much of the ongoing work on tioga road and tuolumne meadows campground has come undone by this unprecedented snowpack. certainly, the timelines for completion will need to be modified.
July 13, 2023 04:00PM
Caltrans posted on their Instagram that the 120 West between Lee Vining and the eastern entrance is now open
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login