Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hwy 140 - will they ever repair the slide area?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hwy 140 - will they ever repair the slide area?
June 05, 2023 06:57AM
I haven't been to Yosemite in several years, unfortunately, but looking at Google maps I can see that 140 is still diverted across the river. Does anyone know if there's any updates on the repair? Are they still going to put up sheds?
avatar Re: Hwy 140 - will they ever repair the slide area?
June 05, 2023 08:40AM
I'm glad you asked that question, I had pretty much forgotten about it...until I'm waiting in line at the stop lights. The key to getting info. is knowing that it was the Ferguson slide, and therefore the Ferguson project. And based on the timeline in the attached links they should have already 're-started' the project.

Ferguson Project Overview

Siera Sun Times article about the project

Based on this info, theoretically the project should be underway now and should take 5 years to complete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2023 08:41AM by calberry.
June 05, 2023 12:25PM
Thanks Calberry!
There's a cool time lapse on that site.
https://www.senserasystems.com/public/project/Ferguson
avatar Re: Hwy 140 - will they ever repair the slide area?
June 05, 2023 01:07PM
June 05, 2023 08:05PM
All the links were very cool, including the time-lapse.

I like the rockshed design.

Different topic, but saw it on the Caltrans District 10 page.

The big moment; Crews from Caltrans District's 9 & 10 meet up as they clear snow, reaching the Sonora Pass Summit.
https://fb.watch/k_m9icqnaf/
December 27, 2023 12:50AM
Looks like progress is being made. 12/26/23. I wonder how many more years…or decades…it will take to complete. :<( cjh
March 19, 2024 10:28AM
Humpal
Looks like progress is being made. 12/26/23. I wonder how many more years…or decades…it will take to complete. :<( cjh

Where did you find an update as of Dec?
March 24, 2024 11:10PM
I was referring to my personal observation. Metal nets are in place. Rock and debris is being removed. First time since 2006, you could drive from one side of the slide to the other. Also observed in February. I read they plan on building a tunnel. :<winking smiley cjh
March 24, 2024 10:29PM
I was up in Yosemite this weekend and was speaking with someone who lives in El Portal. They said the expected completion date for the project is 2030.
March 24, 2024 11:12PM
Which means later. Not since they rebuilt Interstate 10 in the 1990’s has California completed anything on time. :<( cjh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login