Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waning Crescent (34% of Full)

Advanced

Re: "A Yosemite Camping Trip, 1889" by Joseph N. Le Conte

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

"A Yosemite Camping Trip, 1889" by Joseph N. Le Conte
July 25, 2023 08:59PM
Picked up a copy of this book at our local used bookstore. What a delightful little book. Easy and enjoyable reading. It's a journal written by the geologist Le Conte's son, when he was 19. He went on a camping trip to Yosemite with his dad and a few classmates.

Especially enjoyable for the northern California folks as the journal includes his trip from Berkeley to Yosemite via boat (to Stockton), and then back on horse back.

He talks about very heavy winds in the area we now call Altamont pass. Not surprising that's where we now have all those windmills.

He talks about the heat of the San Juaquin valley, and how the Merced that you pass there is so different than the roaring Merced of Yosemite.

And then of course Yosemite... they eat a meal at La Casa Nevada, they climb Dana, Hoffman and the Lyell Glacier, and he writes about all this.

There is also humour in the writing. I recommend the book.
avatar Re: "A Yosemite Camping Trip, 1889" by Joseph N. Le Conte
July 26, 2023 10:33AM
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Wow, I just checked Amazon. $25.59 for a used one (they probably are though at this point in time!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2023 10:36AM by calberry.
Re: "A Yosemite Camping Trip, 1889" by Joseph N. Le Conte
July 28, 2023 06:43PM
I paid $10 for mine. Now I feel like I gotta a deal :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login