Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: High Camps 2024

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

High Camps 2024
August 11, 2023 11:42AM
Ahh Aramark. 'Just learned they will NOT be operating Tuolumne Meadows Lodge or White Wolf Lodge again in 2024! At this point the remainder of the High Sierra Camps are TBD. Perhaps high-cost high-skill low-profit operations? Sad to say.
August 11, 2023 11:43AM
CURSES!!!!!!
Anyone else immensely dislike aramark?
August 14, 2023 03:56PM
The reasons are too many to post here.
August 12, 2023 10:07PM
Gosh, back when NPS gave the concession for running camps into which supplies are brought on the backs of horses and mules to a company that specializes in running vending operations at sports arenas, who could have foreseen that those camps would be closed for multiple years in a row?
August 14, 2023 03:57PM
They didn't even do that great with the sports areas or schools they had lunch contracts with.
August 14, 2023 08:32PM
Aramark can't even figure out how to open the golf course, much less any facility that's actually off the main roads.
August 14, 2023 05:04AM
It takes a certain amount of organizational skill and knowledge to operate the camps. It's seasonal work and those workers have moved on after several years of the camps being closed. It will be very hard to get that back and unfortunately, IMO, may never happen. Who would train the new workers? Unfortunately, the knowledge base is gone.

I know others would be glad to see them go because of the effect on the environment, but it was a way for me to experience the back country and served as a gateway to backpacking in the Sierra.
August 14, 2023 05:26AM
Agree with you re loss of institutional knowledge, and I suspect it's not just with the HSCs where this has occurred. In Europe they have things like HSCs all over, but in the US I think the YNP HSCs are unique.
August 15, 2023 08:53AM
UncleDenny
Ahh Aramark. 'Just learned they will NOT be operating Tuolumne Meadows Lodge or White Wolf Lodge again in 2024! At this point the remainder of the High Sierra Camps are TBD. Perhaps high-cost high-skill low-profit operations? Sad to say.

Can't say I'm surprised by this but I'm curious, where did you read this?
August 15, 2023 10:54AM
Confession. I was told by an Aramark agent the decision was final. Now I am told by a supervisor that the decision is TBD for ALL of the High Camps. Not certain. Still "up in the air". Apologies. Premature. They still do not allow reservations for 2024.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login