Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: White Wolf Lodge

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

White Wolf Lodge
November 10, 2023 08:57AM
I am really late in posting this but has there been anything said about White Wolf Lodge ever reopening? Twice this summer when we were driving Tioga Road, we decided to look to see if any repairs are being done. The damage to the buildings looks like it is long term damage from lack of maintenance due to it being closed for several years in addition to damage from last winter's storm. The place looks like it is basically abandoned and like nothing is being done to reopen the lodge.
November 10, 2023 09:26AM
Parklover,

Thanks for the information.
I was wondering if Aramark took the opportunity to work on White Wolf, Tuolumne Lodge, High Sierra Camps, the golf course, etc during the summers when they were closed.
It appears not.
Then they claim the the most recent years weather is the reason the facilities don't open.
Thats a sorry excuse.
It seems Aramark has abandoned every facility but the main ladges and dining halls.

Aramark has done a poor job withe the other services as well. The bus service is horrible, with some services/stops completely eliminated.

Any bets on whether WW, TML, or the HSC'a actually open next year?
November 11, 2023 03:14AM
Coolburn
Any bets on whether WW, TML, or the HSC'a actually open next year?
https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,98575
November 11, 2023 01:46PM
so...neither white wolf nor tuolumne meadows lodge has been considered a "high sierra camp" to be reached by hiking in. both have been available to people parking their cars in the parking lot, and in fact white wolf has never been included on a tour, guided or unguided, of the high sierra camps, and I'd bet that the vast majority of those staying at TML have never been high camp hikers. no info available on Aramark website for either for 2024.

interestingly, "tuolumne meadows" is listed as first and last night's stay at high camp tours, so presumably plans are to have some accommodations there. high camp lottery recently closed (11/7). does anyone who participated in that lottery have any info. re status of TML for 2024?
November 11, 2023 10:22PM
You're wrong there with respect to "tuolumne lodge". I have not investigated the history, but once upon a time it was a high sierra camp - as evidenced by trail signs that are still out there that give the distance to "tuolumne hsc".
November 12, 2023 10:25AM
To the other Tom: You should know by now that anything posted by Aramark is suspect. It's either inaccurate to start or not followed through. I'll bet you 10 pushups that either WW, TML, or the HSC's won't open in 2024. I sincerly hope I'm wrong, but the lack of work on WW lodge during this amazing summer is consistent with the woeful history. In any event, I'll be happy to payup if I get to go!

MKBDGNS: I entered the 2024 unguided lottery as a past winner. The 2024 HSC application had no actual spot to request a night at TM, but I did put the request in the "comments" section for a night at TML before and/or after the HSC's. I called the Aramark HSC team, who had zero information about White wolf or Tuolumne Meadows. As for the other HSC's, I was only told that I was guaranteed "a night", if they open.
Supposedly, I'll be informed in December about the results.

As for TML being a HSC, the guided trips usually start and end there, the milage to other camps is listed in the mileage chart, and I have seen the signs mentioned by NQTG. I think that qualifies as "to be reached by hiking". It's either the beginning or the end, but it is also available to non hikers.

Side note, TML and the HSC's used to have great food, but the new descriptions seem like glorified mountain house. The explanation for the change is transparent baloney.
November 13, 2023 12:54PM
sorry for making things complicated by references to TML as not an HSC. I really wanted to know if Aramark has plans to open TML or WWL in 2024. their team having "zero information" sounds about right. I just thought that their listing TM as an overnight in the lottery might provide some indication. I'm hoping but not betting. this year, have eyeballed both and both are a wreck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2023 12:55PM by mkbgdns.
November 13, 2023 05:18PM
Aramark pays a set fee and percentage of profits. These High Sierra camps are not profitable. Any excuse to not open them, such as too short of a window, or bad weather will be used as the company makes money by leaving them closed
December 27, 2023 12:33AM
If only we could go back in time and experience historic Yosemite! Glacier Point Hotel? Whoa! :<winking smiley cjh
December 29, 2023 11:02AM
That would be wonderful. I didn't start going to Yosemite until 1987 so there is a lot of things I never saw such as the firefall.
December 30, 2023 08:29PM
I started before 1987, but I was not an adult. Wish I had driven the Tuolumne Grove Road, the Foresta Road, the Coulterville Road, the road above Wawona to the overlook, and the old Miami drive into Wawona. So much history. You can hike all of those, but some of them are very long. 10+ miles. :<winking smiley cjh
January 17, 2024 11:51AM
Aramark has opened both White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows Lodge for reservations for 2024. Surprise but, yes.
January 18, 2024 07:58PM
I have two sets of reservations for both White Wolf, and Tuolumne Meadows.
I hope against the odds that at least one opens this summer early enough for me to use the reservations.
I also have HSC reservations for the 5th year (6th?) in hopes they open.

We will see.

At a minimum, i hope the White Wolf backpackers campground opens this year....That is not under Aramark's control, so at least there is a good chance.
February 15, 2024 02:25PM
I am beyond surprised due to the condition of the buildings when we were there in November. When in heck will they be repairing them is the question.
February 16, 2024 08:38AM
so, who bears the cost of infrastructure upkeep/repair? landlord or tenant? if you rent a house and the roof leaks, it's pretty clear. since this is a commercial lease, the rules may differ. needless to say, the language of the Aramark/NPS agreement controls the matter. is it part of the public record?

I, too, have made reservations for the upcoming summer, but I'm doubtful they will pan out.
February 17, 2024 10:57AM
The contract is public record, and I have a copy.
Maintenance and repair is Aramark's responsibility, and the contract even has minimum amounts to spend.
Personally, I think Aramark has committed "waste" and allowed the facilities to descend into severe disrepair.
February 19, 2024 09:58AM
Where can I get a copy?
February 22, 2024 08:02PM
Well its 657 pages, and too big to email, but I found the link:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/upload/YHcontract.pdf
February 23, 2024 11:17AM
Looks like White Wolf and the High Sierra Camps are required to be maintained and operated.
February 24, 2024 03:08AM
eeek
Looks like White Wolf and the High Sierra Camps are required to be maintained and operated.
Sounds like there's cause for breach of contract.
February 21, 2024 12:10PM
Not sure if this is idle threats or serious termination attempts but the folks in Oregon seem to take Aramark's lapses more seriously than our California brethren:

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2024-02-15/management-issues-at-oregons-crater-lake-prompt-feds-to-consider-terminating-concession-contract
February 22, 2024 05:20AM
Wow! Sounds like it took a senator to get the ball rolling...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login