Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: A few fall pics from the midwest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar A few fall pics from the midwest
October 11, 2011 04:04PM
Pictures from a local park near me called Shawnee Lookout taken with my Panasonic LX3:

P1050172 by dqniel, on Flickr

P1050185 by dqniel, on Flickr

P1050196 by dqniel, on Flickr

P1050201 by dqniel, on Flickr

P1050202 by dqniel, on Flickr
Re: A few fall pics from the midwest
October 13, 2011 11:35AM
DQ-

I take it you live in the Cincy area. Some nice metro parks and state parks in Ohio
avatar Re: A few fall pics from the midwest
October 13, 2011 12:44PM
Yes, I live in western Cincinnati. There are plenty of "nice" parks around Cincinnati, but nothing that will take your breath away.
October 15, 2011 12:21AM
dqniel

Yes, I live in western Cincinnati. There are plenty of "nice" parks around Cincinnati, but nothing that will take your breath away.

Any nice parks along the shores of the Ohio River?
October 15, 2011 11:35AM
The Ohio River doesn't have shores so much as it has broken glass and driftwood with plastic stuck in it winking smiley

But seriously, there are a few well-kept parks along the Ohio River in/near Cincinnati. None of them are somewhere you'd want to go swimming or anything like that, though. Mostly they consist of paved paths on which to walk your dogs. The better parks in/near Cincinnati are in the hills overlooking the valley (like Shawnee) or along the tributaries to the Ohio. Kayaking and canoeing are relatively popular on the Greater and Little Miami Rivers and the White Water river, and there are good parks along all of those.

To get to any great parks, I'd say you'd have to travel an hour north to the Yellow Springs area near Dayton, an hour and a half southwest to the Clifty Falls area near Madison, IN, three hours or so northeast to Hocking Hills near Athens, OH, or three hours or so southeast to Red River Gorge near Slade, KY. Out of those, I'd say Red River Gorge is the only one where you can truly get into "wilderness" area and backpack, camp, or simply hike without seeing people or man-made things. Red River Gorge has some truly stunning rock formations and geology, but it's quickly being ruined by careless campers and hikers. Almost every rock formation is absolutely covered in carvings, almost every established campsite is littered with broken glass and tree stumps from where people cut down trees to burn, and all of the overhangs/caves are stained from the smoke of illegal campfires that drove out the bat populations and ruined the Native American artwork present at some of them. It's still a beautiful place, but a lot of it is spoiled by selfish or ignorant people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login