Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: High Sierra Camps 2005

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 22, 2005 04:05PM
The High Sierra Camps will not be opening at all this year.

avatar Re: High Sierra Camps 2005
June 22, 2005 04:10PM
Yosemite National Park News Release

June 21, 2005
For Immediate Release

Tioga Road to Open June 24, 2005 at 8:00 AM
High Sierra Camps Will Not Open for 2005 Season

Yosemite National Park Superintendent Mike Tollefson announced today that the Tioga Road (Highway 120 East through Yosemite National Park) will open for the season on June 24, 2005 at 8:00 AM. Visitors are asked to watch for road crews who are still working along the roadway.

Services along the Tioga Road and in Tuolumne Meadows will be limited. Vault toilets will be available at Tenaya Lake, Lembert Dome, and some trailheads. The Tuolumne Meadows Store , Gas Station, and the Tuolumne Lodge are expected to open in early July. All campgrounds along the Tioga Road corridor (including White Wolf, Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Creek, and Porcupine Flat) and the Tuolumne Meadows Campground will remain closed until further notice. There is no anticipated opening date for any of these facilities .

The National Park Service and DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite, Inc. jointly announced that five High Sierra Camps (May Lake, Merced Lake, Vogelsang, Sunrise, and Glen Aulin) will not be opened for the 2005 visitor season. The decision to keep the High Sierra Camps closed was based on the unusually heavy winter snowpack and existing snow and water conditions.

Visitors using the Tioga Road corridor and Tuolumne Meadows should take extreme precautions during the current heavy runoff which is anticipated to last at least another month. Many area trails are still covered in snow which may make route finding difficult. Additionally, hikers should be prepared for very high water, which may make stream crossings difficult or impossible.

Although most of the snow has melted on the meadows, visitors are urged to avoid walking over meadows as increased water content has made them extremely fragile and subject to damage.

Visitors with questions about camping along the Tioga Road should call the campground reservations office at 209/372-8502.

Current road and weather conditions are available 24 hours a day by calling 209/372-0200 or on the website at www.nps.gov/yose. Information about backcountry camping and trail conditions can be found on the website or by calling the Wilderness Office at 209/372-0745.

-NPS-

June 22, 2005 06:50PM
Wow!!
My son and I have been on the High Sierra loop for the paste two years (once backpacking, once staying in the camps) and were planning on going again this year. Oh well....maybe next year. Thanks for posting, eeek.
June 22, 2005 11:56PM
Have you ever been to Bearpaw in Sequoia?

June 24, 2005 03:58AM
No, I've never been to Bear Paw. I've only done the "tourist thing" in Sequoia. Is Bear Paw the one with the high sierra camp ?
June 25, 2005 06:29PM
It is a high sierra camp with an incredible view of the Great Western Divide. When I went last year my only complain (besides the length of the like) was the weather--no thunderstorms to enhance my photography efforts winking smiley

September 16, 2005 12:39PM
?? I backpacked from Tuolumne Meadows to the Valley (via Vogelsang Peak, Merced Lake) in early August. Was surprised to find that niether HSC had opened (not that I was disapointed). I can understand how the snowpack would cause them to open later than usual, but when I was there snow was not a problem. Wonder why they decided to keep them closed all summer?
September 16, 2005 02:22PM
I suspect the real issue was the amount of repair work that needed to be done before the camps could open. There just wouldn't have been much of a season left after the work was complete.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login