Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Current Conditions - Hetch Hetchy

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Current Conditions - Hetch Hetchy
January 19, 2014 10:38AM
If I can talk the wife into it (she broke her ankle and isn't exactly self-sufficient) I am going to try and make a quick 2 night (Fri-Sun 24-26) winter trip. It is my first winter trip. So, I'd like something easy as far as conditions go. Certainly no snow shoes and no crampons. I'd like something not requiring any more than boots. I was thinking of Hetch Hetchy to Rancheria and beyond if conditions warrant, then back. I was wondering if anyone knew what the conditions are like there, and if going without traction devices will work, of course assuming the weather holds. I am open to other suggestions also. Hetch Hetchy seemed convenient as there is an entrance station there. I assume they have bear canisters there, Anyone know for sure.

Tanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 03:44PM by Hitech.
avatar Re: Current Conditions - Hetch Hetchy
January 21, 2014 08:19AM
You should bring microspikes. You may not need them.
Yes they have bear canisters.
Trail will be free of snow. But may hold some ice depending on time of day.

There has to have been a number of people going there. Never seen so many bp'ers out this time of year.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 21, 2014 09:04AM
The thing you should realize about Rancheria in the winter is due to the
angle of the dangle and the surrounding peaks and topography...
it gets dark very very early... long before sunset...
so you best like lots of sleepy bag time.
On the plus side... at least the days are getting longer now...

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 21, 2014 09:57AM
Tanks Chick-On. Any better suggestion(s) for a quick winter test run? I'd like to keep the miles low so that if something goes wrong I can easily bail. If I end up freezing half the night I can just walk back to the car. winking smiley

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login